• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Small Front Mount Elec Fan

ERock62

NAXJA Forum User
While I was stuck in traffic today. I was thinking of taking a 10" fan and mounting it to the front of the radiator behind the grill to help cool it down just a bit more. I searched and really could not find much. Has anyone done this?

normally mounting the fan behind the rad, on the engine side. is preferred.
that fan out front will work, but only when its moving.

the rest of the time its blocking air flow through the rad, when the stock fans are trying to pull air through, it will be somewhat in the way.

if you try to put both inside and outside fans on at the same time, you can cause a 'bubble' of sorts since they probably won't be moving air at the same speed.

While I was stuck in traffic today. I was thinking of taking a 10" fan and mounting it to the front of the radiator behind the grill to help cool it down just a bit more. I searched and really could not find much. Has anyone done this?

Hallo. Is the rest of the cooling system ok? Electric fan is kicking in on the right time? Is the fan clutch working?
You can always switch the electric fan from the cabin with a switch or place hoodvents.
So my question is, to place an extra electic fan for cooling just a little bit more....... :cool:

'92 XJ

Someone did this on here already. I believe he said it would not fit with a/c (condenser) and he grinded into the grille. Pull the rad rad out first and flush it good with a garden hose. Then diconnect the two heater hoses and flush the heater core. Check and make shure everything is working properly. Aux fan comes on, change thermostat, all hoses are good or new, no bugs or junk blocking rad, rad cap good or new. I've upgraded to 97 aux fan , 96 mech fan and GC mech fan clutch. I have a flow cooler and new 2 row rad sitting at home. Best mods were hood vents and switch foraux fan. The best was cleaning the rad and heater core with new hoses.

I checked it out some more this weekend and purplexj is correct. With the ac condenser I have almost zero room.

My 93 xj gets to around 215 in traffic then the aux fan kicks in and it was drop slightly below 210 then the fan turns off then back up to 215ish and repeat.

I recently did the GC clutch fan mod and noticed a big change. Next it looks like the aux fan switch. I went through and flushed the cooling system about 1yr ago. I just want to make sure the cooling is 100% this summer when I do a longer trip/vacation.

ERock

I'm in So cal so I share similar cooling woes. My Jeep cools great as is, here's the current setup

OEM 190* T-State
3 Core rad from radiator barn
GC fan clutch
Tefba Coolant filter

I was driving through your area on Friday afternoon in traffic and the Jeep never got over 210*

The other thing to think about is your exhaust. My Jeep used to overheat alot... Cat was clogged. Ever since I replaced that its been great!

The other thing to think about is your exhaust. My Jeep used to overheat alot... Cat was clogged. Ever since I replaced that its been great!

I've done the 3-core, cut the radiator out of the tranny cooler loop, and swapped in the newer aux fan, but still get a random spike in temp even without the A/C running. I think I'll research the GC clutch next. My question is, how do you know if your converter is plugged?

I've done the 3-core, cut the radiator out of the tranny cooler loop, and swapped in the newer aux fan, but still get a random spike in temp even without the A/C running. I think I'll research the GC clutch next. My question is, how do you know if your converter is plugged?

If your converter is really, really plugged, the vehicle will lose all power and then stop running shortly thereafter. If it's just kinda plugged, you will suffer a noticeable power loss and slight temp increases. I know I need to change mine out, pretty sure it's OE. Saw some on e-bay in the $100-$150 range, it's on my list of things to take care of in the next couple of months.

On another project I run a single 15" fan on the front of my aluminum rad. keeps cool, was able to remove the mechanical on the motor,well kinda had to for clearance reasons

ERock

I'm in So cal so I share similar cooling woes. My Jeep cools great as is, here's the current setup

OEM 190* T-State
3 Core rad from radiator barn
GC fan clutch
Tefba Coolant filter

I was driving through your area on Friday afternoon in traffic and the Jeep never got over 210*

:wave1: It's Erock from OT

I am thinking of getting a new Rad before this summer. I am going up to the sierra's camping and the grapevine scares me.

My cat could be bad. I know my heat shield on it rattles like crazy.

I checked it out some more this weekend and purplexj is correct. With the ac condenser I have almost zero room.

My 93 xj gets to around 215 in traffic then the aux fan kicks in and it was drop slightly below 210 then the fan turns off then back up to 215ish and repeat.

I recently did the GC clutch fan mod and noticed a big change. Next it looks like the aux fan switch. I went through and flushed the cooling system about 1yr ago. I just want to make sure the cooling is 100% this summer when I do a longer trip/vacation.

PurpleXJ mentioned "96 mech fan and GC mech fan clutch" and need a little clarification before get started on this. Looking at the NAPA site, the clutches are differend but it looks like the fans for my '93 and the '96 mentioned are the same. True statement? If so, the $45 for the clutch doesn't seem like a bad deal to get better airflow.

ERock did you replace just the clutch or both the fan and clutch?

PurpleXJ mentioned "96 mech fan and GC mech fan clutch" and need a little clarification before get started on this. Looking at the NAPA site, the clutches are differend but it looks like the fans for my '93 and the '96 mentioned are the same. True statement? If so, the $45 for the clutch doesn't seem like a bad deal to get better airflow.

ERock did you replace just the clutch or both the fan and clutch?
I replaced the clutch only NAPA part #272310

It is for a 97-98 ZJ without severe cooling.

Right , ZJ and def not severe duty because it wont fit. THe actual mech fan on 94 and up is better . Mine is a 92 so I used the 94 up mech fan and fan clutch, 97 up aux fan going to a switch on in dash. The ZJ clutch is better. I hav'nt installed the new clutch or rad yet.

:wave1: It's Erock from OT

I am thinking of getting a new Rad before this summer. I am going up to the sierra's camping and the grapevine scares me.

My cat could be bad. I know my heat shield on it rattles like crazy.

Mine was overheating going up grades. I started feeling around on the floor, touched the seat mount on the pass side and burned my finger. That was my cue to get it checked out. Light wouldn't pass through the damn thing when the shop pulled it.

Mine was overheating going up grades. I started feeling around on the floor, touched the seat mount on the pass side and burned my finger. That was my cue to get it checked out. Light wouldn't pass through the damn thing when the shop pulled it.

Where were you at mileage wise?

Thank, I am going to have to check that out after my next long drive.

I have 124k on my 93 XJ

I'm bumping this year old thread because I want to add small electric fans to the front of my rad. My XJ has been overheating so I had the coolant flushed, new thermostat, new radiator cap. But it's still overheating at low speed.

So does anybody have a suggestion for decent small fans and how to mount them?

Back