• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rock krawler 4.5 or 6.5

azxj95

NAXJA Forum User
So im going to buy my lift soon and im up in arms about goin with the rock krawler 4.5 with rear coil conversion or the 6.5 with the coils out back i would like to know the ups and downs of ether keep in mind i am going to be puting fullsize axles on the rig when i put the lift on if i run the 4.5 ill most likly put 33s on it if its the 6.5 ill go with 35s let me know what you guys think thanks

If you only go 33s there's no sence in the fullsize axles.

What kind of axles you plan on running?

I'd go with 6.5" and at least 35s with bigger axles. You'll lose ground clearance with a chunks Being so big.

Why coils out back?

I was at 4.5 then went up to 6.5/ I thought the 6.5 was going to be too high and feel unstable, until I did it! I would never go back 6.5 seems perfict. Im on 33s right now debating on the 35s.

I have a hp dana 44 for the front and a ford 9 with a currie hp third member i figured going with the coils for more flex out back im kind of new to all this so tell me im wrong about geting more flex . i thought the same thing being to tall and feeling unstable

A lot of your decision should be based on what the usage of your rig is, meaning ratio of daily driving to wheeling, and how much you're willing to trim if you run 35's. I'm on 6" of lift and 33's and actually want to go down. My line of thinking has changed over the years. I now feel that the best route is minimal amount of lift needed to run the tires you want, keeping the rig more stable and your COG low. There's a guy out this way right now doing a custom build with hp44/9" combo and he's only running 3" of lift and trimming for 35's. It's a sweet build.

And I agree with what was said above about tire size and axle choice. Most guys that run full widths do so for the benefit of running 35's or bigger. If I was going through all the effort of an axle swap, I wouldn't be doing it just to run 33's. Your stock setup can handle that.

If it were me, I'd go with the 4.5" lift, the full widths, 35's, and trim and bumpstop accordingly. Just my opinion. :D

A lot of your decision should be based on what the usage of your rig is, meaning ratio of daily driving to wheeling, and how much you're willing to trim if you run 35's. I'm on 6" of lift and 33's and actually want to go down. My line of thinking has changed over the years. I now feel that the best route is minimal amount of lift needed to run the tires you want, keeping the rig more stable and your COG low. There's a guy out this way right now doing a custom build with hp44/9" combo and he's only running 3" of lift and trimming for 35's. It's a sweet build.

And I agree with what was said above about tire size and axle choice. Most guys that run full widths do so for the benefit of running 35's or bigger. If I was going through all the effort of an axle swap, I wouldn't be doing it just to run 33's. Your stock setup can handle that.

If it were me, I'd go with the 4.5" lift, the full widths, 35's, and trim and bumpstop accordingly. Just my opinion. :D

I agree^^^
I had my old XJ at 6.5" at one point and ended up lowering it to about 5". It felt much more stable afterwords, and I never looked back.

As long as you are willing to trim (you will need to trim some anyway with 35s if you want any uptravel) and you bumpstop properly, 4.5" and 35's will serve you well.

The only reason I went 6" on my MJ is because that's what you get with the SOA conversion. The extra inch doesn't seem to hurt in it though since the wheelbase is a good bit longer. It still needed a good bit of trimming for the 35s though, just so it didn't rub when stuffed and turned. It was fine on the street without trimming.... but what fun is that!

Back