• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Calling all electrical guru's! --- Wiring up window switches to toggles

I've seen pics of where 96 and under rigs have taken their switch panel right off of the door and installed it on the knee area of the dash. Ghetto I guess but it works. Course you have the newer body style me thinks and it doesn't have a switch set that's as conducive to this mod.

I don't know what the later model window switches look like, but, I'd bet it would be easy. Switches like that are available at most buggy shops.
What about removing the switch plate and installing it in the new aluminum panels?

These are fairly complicated switches. You could use regular toggle switches with a system of relays. This would also let you run a larger power source to each door if you've experienced sluggish windows. Same with the locks...

?? Not sure if I worded it wrong or what but I was meaning something along these lines: http://www.ronfrancis.com/prodinfo.asp?number=PS-22

No, you're fine. It would be more accurate to refer to it as a polarity reversing switch, but I suspect RCP Phx would have laughed at you anyways. It's not a real common switch, and something you're not likely to find in the drawers at your local Radio Shack, so a lot of people aren't aware they even exist.

I do find it particularly hilarious though when someone laughs in a sitatuation like this, only to be proven wrong (see link I'll post later in this response) :D Just too bad you can't be there to see their embarrasement.

Wow, ok so verdict is pretty much no :laugh: I think I'll go with Will and Rick on this one and just figure a way to get my stock switches into new door panels.

Oh, it can be certainly be done. Those OEM switches aren't some sort of unobtanium only available to car makers as window switches. They're basically just a standard DPDT (double pole double throw) with two jumpers added internally. You don't need the $25 switch linked in an earlier post...it can easily be made with a $5 switch from Radio shack. See the DPDT section on this page - http://www.1728.com/project2.htm near the bottom. It explains the concept of the polarity reversing switch.

Indeed, the windows are a pretty easy job, its the lockout and the multiple d/s door switches that make it complicated. Any one window can be controlled via a single DPDT switch. All you have to do is work with the two wires from the motor, one way goes up, reverse polarity to go down, pretty simple. You could run all wires to the center console so you could have central control and no need for a complex multiple switch and lockout system.

You could run all wires to the center console so you could have central control and no need for a complex multiple switch and lockout system.

That's exactly what I did on my Explorer, along with two more switches on the back of the console for rear seat passengers. Even the factory setup for multiple switches isn't complex...just switches ran in parallel. Seems a lot more complicated than it really is.

Hallo. I think it will be difficult to find the right switches.
The motor of the window has to switch with opposite polarity. The motor turns right (clockwise) when up and left when down.

'92 XJ

Last edited:
Hallo. I think it will be difficult to find the right switches.
The motor of the window has to switch with opposite polarity. The motor turns right (clockwise) when up and left when down.

'92 XJ

A proper switch has already been linked earlier in the thread, along with a method of converting a standard DPDT switch into one.

Well there's something going on there. Because my passenger window wouldn't roll up from the drivers side with the passenger side unplugged.
Power runs through the switch...the yellow is hot and brown with white tracer is ground in 97-01.

Back