• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Gear Oil for Ford 8.8

IslanderOffRoad

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
Took my Jeep to get the oil changed last week. I've had no time to do anything on it myself lately and need it to go camping this weekend for a friend's bachelor party.

The place I took it to told me my rear diff fluid was very dirty and needed replacement soon. This struck me as odd, as I just changed it before I went to Moab back in October, which means it was changed much more recently than probably 99% of cars on the road.

I haven't had a chance to open it up and look for myself, but really, could it anything make it get that bad that quick? Are 8.8's more sensitive to heat or specific fluid or anything? I used the same Valvoline Syn-Blend gear oil I use up front, plus Ford Friction Modifier for the LSD.

Just looking for some advice, while I'm fairly confident its ok, I don't feel like grenading my diff today.

Just pull the plug and dip your finger in it, you'll know right away if it's real discolored. Like you said, you're most likely just fine and he's trying to sell another job.

so they pulled the plug on your axle when they were supposed to change your oil?

or do you think they saw a lifted jeep and assumed that since you need an oil change they should also service the axles.

dont let people put things into your head, stick you finger in and take a look for yourself.

so they pulled the plug on your axle when they were supposed to change your oil?

or do you think they saw a lifted jeep and assumed that since you need an oil change they should also service the axles.

dont let people put things into your head, stick you finger in and take a look for yourself.

:eek:...lol.

Good point though, you should ask them why they felt compelled to stick their grimy fingers in your clean oil. Tell them they made it dirty by sticking their fingers in places they shouldn't be!

most quick lube type places with a full service oil change check all fluids. some even do it with a basic service.
dam someone does there job right.........
check your fluid yourself. the fluid your using is fine in a 8.8
mike

Back