• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Front Axle Position - Control Arm Length?

Morris4x4Center

NAXJA Forum User
Just finishing the installation of a 4" Superlift kit. The kit came with fixed upper and lower control arms. Now that I take a look at it, the front axle seems to not be centered in the wheel well anymore. Problem is, since I installed the Bushwacker fender flares I haven't really looked at it closely. The caster seems to be OK. The lowers definately don't need to be extended anymore, the axle looks too close to 90* now.

Does anyone know a good way to measure if the axle is in the correct place back to front? I am pulling the front back apart to install a 3/4" spacer and want to be sure everything is OK.

I now have a set of adjustable lower control arms to "dial it in", but I would also need to lengthen the uppers if there is an issue. Looking for suggestions... Please note that the picture was taken before the rear springs were in, now the back is about 1" higher than the front with the same front axle issue.

Jeep-With-Tires-side-light.jpg

There is no "right" place for the axle or "right" length for the control arms.
Do you want the axle to look centered at ride height or do you want it to be centered as the tire stuffs? It's all about tire clearance when it's stuffed. Flex it, see where it hits, see what can be trimmed, and see if you want to adjust the position of the axle. Other than that it doesn't matter. Well, if you push the axle forward much you have to start watching steering link clearance.

what is the measurement of the control arms from center of bolt hole to center of bolt hole. stock lowers is 16" and i think the uppers are 15 3/4".

you can also shim the lower control arm mounts on the unibody to change the mounting point distance of the lower control arms.

There is no "right" place for the axle or "right" length for the control arms.
Do you want the axle to look centered at ride height or do you want it to be centered as the tire stuffs? It's all about tire clearance when it's stuffed. Flex it, see where it hits, see what can be trimmed, and see if you want to adjust the position of the axle. Other than that it doesn't matter. Well, if you push the axle forward much you have to start watching steering link clearance.
X2

Back