• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Speedo Gears - $82?

jackdes

NAXJA Forum User
Looking for a 36 tooth speedo gear. Just talked to the dealership in Golden and they want $82.00 for one. They actually have 2 in stock, only ones in CO apparently. I thought these were way cheaper, less than half that price. Am I wrong here? Is there another source for these speedo gears? I'm just thinking that in CO there are a lot of guys running 33s and 4.56 gears with NP231s who want this part, and the dealership caught on to that.

Any input is appreciated

The price on these have gone way up recently. Do you need a short shaft or long shaft?

With 33s and 4.56 gears, I'm running a 39 tooth gear.

39 teeth, huh? Interesting. Is that accurate for you? Stock is 34T, when I was running 31s and 4.56s it was reading about 15% high, now with 33s it's about 8-9% high. According to http://jeep.off-road.com/jeep/article/articleDetail.jsp?id=257847 36T is the correct tooth count.

My 33s are 305/70R16s, which are almost as big as my roommates 35s. The metric measured tires tend to run more true to size, so I didn't want to go higher in the tooth count than what the chart suggests. Honestly I really don't care how fast I'm going (to a degree of course), but I want my mileage to be accurate again.

There are a lot of those charts floating around, and they all seem to have different information.

I also have 305/70/16 tires and with the 39 tooth gear, my speedo is right on the nose, according to my GPS.

This is actually the third Jeep that this particular speedo gear has been used in.

Here's the chart that I referenced.

http://www.go.jeep-xj.info/HowtoSpeedoGears.htm

Awesome, conflicting charts! The one you referenced seems a bit more "techy". I'm still confused, and definitely going to wait for more input on this post. Plus the $82 tax makes me a little unhappy.

If you've changed your speedo gear, post up! Especially if you run 33s and 4.56s. Thanks!

I got a 32 tooth long shaft gear for about that price(3.55/31). I don't know if there is any other source. They listed a gear for my year Jeep for 14 bucks, but said the part was not made anymore, so I had to get the 80 dollar version for a later year. I used the gojeep chart, and the part number was correct. Use the part number from there, as the parts guy could not find a gear with the amount of teeth I needed, however the number from the website was valid and worked. Install was easy, just gotta make sure the housing is rotated correctly.

It should be cheaper. Call around and see what other dealers quote you. When I used to have an s10 one chebby dealer told me $80 for a part, another $55 for the exact same thing.

What I heard was ChryCo stopped making them, or scaled back. So of course the price has to go up. :dunno:

39 tooth with 33's and 4.56 is right on for me, I actually haven't found a chart that hasn't said 39 for that combo yet.

Yes they went up about 8 months ago, as they stopped making them. I picked up mine right before the price hike for $21 shipped.

Back