• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

shackle or aal

basso4735

NAXJA Forum User
well, ive been searching for the past week, and i think ive made a decision. i want to add a BB to my 96 xj, but id like some opinions. my rear leafs are still ok and not sagging i think. from the center of my rim to the bottom of fender is ~17.5". now, if these are still ok, should i use an aal or shackle? i wont be towing anythingand it will be mildly offroaded. thanks for your opinions

Use rocklizardfabrications methods, I used it and shackles. It worked out great at about 3". I added an XJ main to my sagging pack. Take the time on this, don't waste your money ordering a kit.

i havent been able to find any donor packs around here. will the aal or shackle give more true lift?

It depends on the AAL. IThe full lenth is the best way to go, I hear about the short one's always sagging the rest of the pack. I can't recommend a brand, I recommend you do a search in this forum to see what others like to run. I originally had a 1" shackle and it gave me exactly 1". My pack was already sagging so I can't give insight to whether or not it causes them to sag. Most on here say it makes them sag. Type in budget boost in the advanced search.

I know you said there were no XJ doners for leaf's but have you looked for Dakota, or S-10 spring doners? 2 of those should add atleast 2"s.
If you cant find that either, I'd go with the shackles, AAL's give a horribly stiff ride, as it's one spring trying to lift the whole rear end, so obviously, it's going to have to be stiff. Or, the better option would be to just get a full spring pack with the kit.

Last edited:
I have the TeraFlex BB with a shackle and I wish I'd gone with the AAL. I had brand new stock leaf srpings and they were starting to invert with the shackle after just a couple months. I have actually added a 1 inch block in the rear to compensate so I am probably a little higher than 2 inches, but not by much. I am already looking into going up to 3 inches this summer and hopefully getting replacement lift springs.

If i had to do it over again, I would do a BB like the RE or Rusty's that came with the AAL and shocks.

Just my $.02

Back