• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Painting over Powdercoat?

Flyfisher

NAXJA Forum User
I have some Tomkin rear bumper end caps that I had to have modified (shortened to stop wheel rub). Obviously the cutting/welding work needs to be finished. They were originally powder coated.

Can I rattle-can the ruined finish, or will it have problems adhering to the power coat that still remains? Or, will I need to take all the powder coat off and then re-paint the whole piece?

Thanks in advance!

Re: Paint over Powder Coat?

just rough up the powdercoat, same as you would when painting over top of paint.

When I painted my new to me ARB bumper, I just cleaned the powdercoat with soap and water, I didn't rough it up, then took my time and rattle canned it with Duplicolor so it would match the rest of my Jeep. 2 years later I have yet to touch it up, and it still looks really good.

yeah just scuff a bit (red scotch brite pads work nice) clean it (im strange and use rubbing alchohol since its cheap and has never done me wrong) and shoot it - powder coating is just basically paint that goes on dry and is baked on - its really not a whole lot better than some of todays better paints

yeah just scuff a bit (red scotch brite pads work nice) clean it (im strange and use rubbing alchohol since its cheap and has never done me wrong) and shoot it

What he said, and I always use rubbing alchohol when painting anything cleans good.

Alcohol gets rid of the oil that gets on the parts when handling thus causing your finish to orange peel, fish eye, etc....

its really not a whole lot better than some of todays better paints

I though you were about to actually have an informative post, until you said that. Powdercoat > spraybomb, acrylic enamel, and a lot of automotive urethanes i terms of durability and chemical resistance.

Of course it all depends on what type you use. Hybrid, TGIC, polyester, epoxy, there's a whole bunch to suit whatever need you have.

... but you are on the right track with the alcohol bit.

Back