• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

new ball joints, now axle is leaking???

xray1971

NAXJA Forum User
XJ EMERGENCY Just had upper and lower ball joints put on today on my 98 XJ pass. side. Went to town to get new brake pads, then home to install.. after pulled wheels noticed diff. fluid slung in the wheel well! It was clean, just had front diff fluid changed 5 weeks ago. Was not antifreeze leak or anything I may have picked up from the road. Can the axle be damaged when putting new ball joints in? I called the shop right away and they said bring it in first thing in a.m. I am freaking out I love my XJ!!! Searched threads hope I am not a repeat, I am kinda newby. NAXJA RULES

Seals can be damaged when they remove/reinstall the shaft to change the ball joints. Sometimes it just can't be helped.
Might just be residual lube form inside the end of the axle tube.
Don't freak out. It's an XJ.

Thank you for the help. And for the tranquilizer.
So I don't think it is the pinion seal. Could it be the differential bearing/seal kit (looking at Autozone parts)? Want to be armed with some knowledge when I go to the shop.

Back