• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Wheeling options?

rpraterxj

NAXJA Forum User
Hey gang,

Looks like I will finally get to wheel this year after all! I am looking to do something next weekend, maybe both days, but at least on Sunday.

I am thinking of wheeling somewhere I have never wheeled before - anywhere in San Diego - Bronco Peak, Sidewinder, Pancake Rock, etc...?

Or I can go to Big Bear and run what I know (or trails I have not run up there).

Any suggestions?

Any interest in joining me?

Day trip is fine, either days. I have a buddy wanting to join me on Sunday, but I can wheel both days.

Thanks

I'd be down for a shot gun seat on corral canyon, I dont have trailable jeep at the time being

Sorry, I meant the following weekend, not this coming weekend. We have family in town and Mother's Day.

Sorry, I meant the following weekend, not this coming weekend. We have family in town and Mother's Day.

If you want to run corral canyon the next week, I'd be down with that...or pancake rock even....don't care much as long as I don't have to drive hours or be up at dark thirty in the morning.

The weekend of the 16th the BS Fab Crew be camping in BB from Friday till Sunday. Im sure we could meet up some time. Were probably gonna run Dishpan, John Bull, Gold Mountain, and anything else we can find.

The weekend of the 16th we'll be camping in BB from Friday till Sunday. Im sure we could meet up some time. Were probably gonna run Dishpan, John Bull, Gold Mountain, and anything else we can find.

Thanks. I was thinking of BB since I did not get to make it last weekend. But I am also thinking of trying something different.

I will let you know. Thanks!

could do a day in big bear and a day in san diego.

Pancake rock isn't really worth the ride down, IMHO....it's really just a fire road. When it's super wet, it's kinda fun. And you could probably run most, if not all, of corral canyon in a day if ya dont have too big of a crew.

could do a day in big bear and a day in san diego.

Pancake rock isn't really worth the ride down, IMHO....it's really just a fire road. When it's super wet, it's kinda fun. And you could probably run most, if not all, of corral canyon in a day if ya dont have too big of a crew.

I thought about that too. I would just head down to SD after BB and stay in a hotel somewhere.

What about Sidewinder or Bronco Peak? Where s Corral Canyon? Is it fun?

From what I have heard and seen in photos and video footage, Bronco Peak has some horribly hairy spots, is dusty and windy. Youtube it quick, I know Matty and Mike G have run the thing. Some groovy footage. I've been wheeling a loooong time, but am honestly not sure I'm ready for the Peak lol. There is one section where you have to sandwich the rig between a rock and a tree, and I have seen several guys holding a strap to the roof to prevent a flop. Fun, yea, but kinda risky IMO lol.

There is a lot of fun to be had at corral canyon, there is something for everyone.

There was this cool get together out in BB last weekend, too bad you couldn't make it!

I heard you where gonna be there so I didn't go.... LOL

I wold have rather been there then sittign in the hospital with my wife. Well, I mean I would rather her been OK and me be in BB.

i'm in for a deep creek run or john bull - didn't run JB during the fest, wimped out after i saw the carnage, but i know i can make a line now

I thought about that too. I would just head down to SD after BB and stay in a hotel somewhere.

What about Sidewinder or Bronco Peak? Where s Corral Canyon? Is it fun?

It's about an hour east of San Diego, and yeah, it's fun. Not something to do every weekend, because, as I said, you can pretty much run it in a day. There's some nice scenic trails, Sidewinder is pretty basic, but has some boulders that can do tie rod and body damage if ya don't pay attention, Bronco Peak is a little more challenging, but there's really only one tough obstacle and it's always changing. The first time I was there it was impassable, the next time there was a highway carved through as a bypass, the last time the bypass had begun to erode again....it really just depends. Bronco Peak Connector is the toughest run and you can see the worst part from the bottom and decide if ya want to try.

But it also depends on how many show up and how well equipped. 33's and a locker will get you just about anywhere...maybe even up bronco peak connector...though two lockers would be nice (I only have one :nosmile:).

I think Nathan Burgess (SoCalXJ buddy) is going to be in town the weekend of the 15th-17th & is hoping to run Sidewinder and/or Bronco Peak. I am willing to attempt Sidewinder (3" lift, LSD 8.25, and the infamous 235/75/15 tires), but will avoid Bronco Peak connector for sure, and probably BP in general. Only catch is... I need to do my run on Saturday, as Sunday afternoon is my younger daughter's Girl Scout Silver Award ceremony, and I can't run the chance of missing it due to trail carnage. If we do get out to Corral Cyn, I think OceanJet Mike is up for it if it starts earlier in the day, and I'm sure some others can join us...
Carol

Back