• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

stock lift

JohnXJ95

NAXJA Forum User
:flame:

will a 2 inch rear shackle work with my stock system in the back to lift it so i can just put 2 inch coil spacers in the front.

well it depends on what you mean by a 2" shackle.

a 2" lift shackle is 4" longer than a stock shackle and will provide 2" of lift, until the stock spring wears out and sags. STOCK springs sag with stock shackles, so a longer shackle on a STOCK spring will make it sag faster, especially on an older spring.

a shackle that is 2" longer then stock will provide a 1" lift.

make a bastard pack, buy new spring packs(OME or HD springs from quadratech), or an add a leaf.

longer shackle will kill an older stock spring pack.

oh, what year is your xj?

I put a 1.5" shackle in mine and ran it for years with no problems. I used spacers up front. You'll be fine. But then my leafs were already sagged. Still cleared 30s though. After trimming in the front it cleared 30's under flex without the swaybar attached.

well i want something to where i wouldnt have to change much just lift it up

OME packs will set you back about 250 plus shipping and you will only have to change the u-bolts!

Do you want it lifted to clear 30" tires - or do you want it lifted to look cool in the mall parking lot, make the handling worse, have less sidehill capability, and generally make it fall further behind the leaders on the trail?

Lift is to clear tires - generally because we don't want to cut out the fenderwells like we should, or are running rims with so little offset the treads rip off the flares.

I'm not so much for lift if you are running 30" tires or less, and haven't done anything to the axles. It's just trail bling at that point. Over 30", you need better axles and a decently engineered set of springs. ACOGS, long arms, new springs, whatever - but just 2" isn't really justified most of the time. It's just a bandaid to clear rims that are all wrong.

Back