• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

chizzop off the tizzop

GPRSDLYT

NAXJA Forum User
maybe this winters attemped project is to chop the rear section. im seeking advice from those who have done this before. a local shop wants around $2500 to do the job, and about a month to complete. if i do decided to do this myself, (with a half-dozen of mechanically inclined friends who own 8-sec pro streets) what things should i plan ahead for? or is there problems that you encountered, that slowed down production? what kind of materials should i get, and how do you think i should work in the rear corner above the taillight? l.e.d's? please give all the info you can, or links.

$2500 to chop the rear? hell bring it to me ill do it for $300 with my sawzall! I dont get it kinda confused. are you trying to make it into an SUT? "chopping the rear" is kinda vague. you making this into a pro street XJ? with all your firends help? :D

pro street...nah. chopping...you know, like beezil, rev den etc. i was just saying that with my friends help. they just have more experience than i about fabbing, sheetmetal and so forth.

Hmmm....does this include....
Cage. You will need to reinforce.
Finishing the interior. Gotta fill the holes.
Paint. You are gonna burn some and chip some.
Wiring. Lotsa wires in that roof and supports.

IF it includes all of that then 2500 is a deal.....It cost me 2000 including tube, paint, lights, and a fabric top.

Rev

Ohh...just saw your new post.....Beezil and I did very different things. There are some things that we both HAD to do, but I cut much more than him, and his looks MUCH better.

when i build the wall, will that be enough support? i have some extra factory roof beams. what else will need support?

IF it includes all of that then 2500 is a deal.....It cost me 2000 including tube, paint, lights, and a fabric top.

Rev

Rev
Did you do any of the work yourself? I also plan this winter to do a 4-door upper rear 1/4 chop, yet I plan on doing all the work myself with the possible exception of the final paint which I can get done for free.

Bill

the wall is only somewaht important, is not going to give you any fore-aft rigidity, only side-side.

it won't be a substitute for tube work.

IMHO, you must incorporate tube work/cage.

saving pinch seams will keep things stronger too.

I tried to hard to keep them, and they're in my way. next week I begin my second phase of cutting!

Rev
Did you do any of the work yourself? I also plan this winter to do a 4-door upper rear 1/4 chop, yet I plan on doing all the work myself with the possible exception of the final paint which I can get done for free.

Bill

I did all the work myself except the bending of the cage.

Rev

Ohh yea....Everything Beezil said above is right on the money. I saved ALL my pinch seams.

second phase of cutting is loosing the rear bumper and gastank area....

I'm no longer interested in excavation while I'm wheeling.

chop-sequel pics to appear soon.

Im still working on mine...

Different Ideas, Different overall goal, but it was WAY CHeep.

$2000!?

The top on a 2dr is Easy, Pull the interior pannels, pull all the wires, cut one harness, brake the windows, remove the hatch, 5min of sawzall and its off.

So whats 10 wire butt connectors cost and one sawzall blade? $10?

Building from there can take as long as or cost as much as you like...

If you dont have means to put back together, dont take it apart.

download.php

download.php

ashmanjeepxj, did you ever finish the sub frame? I was following your project over at Pirate a while ago. That 60 is sooo wide. :eek: I don't see why it has to cost a lot of money, just a lot of creativity.

CW. said:
ashmanjeepxj, did you ever finish the sub frame? I was following your project over at Pirate a while ago. That 60 is sooo wide. :eek: I don't see why it has to cost a lot of money, just a lot of creativity.

Mostly:rolleyes:

The front section I have It all welded, I need to seal the gaps between spot welds, then Paint it. Im gonna paint the body after I finish trimming the rear, the over spray would get all over my sub frame on the front so its still not getting painted till after the body. (rust stop, color: olive drab)

I did not do the rear section, Im still planning, cutting. once the cage falls together, Ill see about finishing up the last bit of sub frame on the rear...

This is what its looking like...
download.php

Back