• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

+1 OEM Electric fan; wiring

Johnnie Walker

Piece of Fish!
NAXJA Member
I have read a few different threads on it, but none of them showed any wiring diagrams/setups for the switch/electrical part of it.

Basically, I have an extra OEM elec. fan that I would like to run in place of the POS clutch fan. Free-ing up a little power would be nice. I am pretty good with electrical stuff, but I was curious if anyone who has done this has, or could draw, a wiring diagram for me and what relays you used and such. Thanks much in advance.

I wired up my electric fan sepretly using a relay. no diagram, but if you are good with electical stuff just get your jumper leads and your relay and start playing with it. But the main issue here is that the electric fan pulls less air then the clutch fan, and I dont think it will be enough.

The tech write up section has this:
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=983427

Also:
http://www.naxja.org/forum/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=244385035

What I would do would be to find a wire that is only hot when the ignition is on. Run that to a switch (with a fuse in between). Running your fan off of a wire that is only hot when the ignition is on will prevent you from leaving the fan on and draining your battery. Ground the switch inside the cab.

Run your output wire from the switch through the fire wall to a relay under the hood. Run a fused line hot off the battery to your relay. Ground the relay. That's 3 of the 4 prongs on a relay.

Run your output from the relay to your hot wire on your fan. At that point you are almost done. Ground the fan to the body.

The addition of the relay & fuses protect your battery and your electrical system from shorts. It also doesn't force you to run alot of juice through your XJ and cause Electromagnetic Interference.

relay_diagram.JPG

What's labeled "lights" would be the hot wire to your fan. Then ground the fan to the body.

Last edited:
The tech write up section has this:
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=983427

Also:
http://www.naxja.org/forum/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=244385035

What's labeled "lights" would be the hot wire to your fan. Then ground the fan to the body.
I have a print out of the first link you have which is a PDF, but its not specific as far as wiring. Thank you for the link to the other post tho. Would a 2nd OEM fan be enough? I live on the central coast of cali, and it doesn't usually get really hot here. I do not have my new gauges in yet, but I will check my temp and see how it runs. I got the stupid dummy lights right now so I do not know how hot/cool it actually runs. But it runs pretty good.

I have a print out of the first link you have which is a PDF, but its not specific as far as wiring. Thank you for the link to the other post tho. Would a 2nd OEM fan be enough? I live on the central coast of cali, and it doesn't usually get really hot here. I do not have my new gauges in yet, but I will check my temp and see how it runs. I got the stupid dummy lights right now so I do not know how hot/cool it actually runs. But it runs pretty good.

I think I read somewhere that the Aux fan is about 1800 CFM. Most places recommend 2000 CFM bare min for driving, and 3000 CFM for offroad or towing.

That'd be a bit too close for my comfort personally.

So 2 fans running @ 1800 CFM isnt good enough?

So 2 fans running @ 1800 CFM isnt good enough?

1800 CFM + 1800 CFM = 3600 CFM for two stock e fans

1800 CFM + 2000 CFM = 3800 CFM for 1 stock e fan + needed minimum for replacing the mech fan

1800 CFM + 3000 CFM = 4800 CFM for 1 stock e fan + recommended for replacing the mech fan

so no, two stock may not be enough. i have heard of some people doing it, but i dont know how well it works. i have a ford taurus 2 speed fan wired to a Delta Current Control FK60 fan controller. i havent heard my stock e fan come on at all unless i am towing over some hills.

1800 CFM + 1800 CFM = 3600 CFM for two stock e fans

1800 CFM + 2000 CFM = 3800 CFM for 1 stock e fan + needed minimum for replacing the mech fan

1800 CFM + 3000 CFM = 4800 CFM for 1 stock e fan + recommended for replacing the mech fan

so no, two stock may not be enough. i have heard of some people doing it, but i dont know how well it works. i have a ford taurus 2 speed fan wired to a Delta Current Control FK60 fan controller. i havent heard my stock e fan come on at all unless i am towing over some hills.
Well, I figure that after I get my new gauges in and get an idea of what my XJ actually runs temp wise.. I'll go from there. If it runs cool enough, then I'll just install my extra e-fan and add a switch for the current e-fan.

Also, any one who has switched to dual e-fans, have any of you set it up so that the fan stays on after the vehicle is shut off to help cool it down? Or maybe a 2nd switch with a timer?

I did the second E fan swap and have had no overheating problems. It actually fixed ones that I had. I thought I needed a new clutch, I read they need replaced every few years. And when I did my 136A Alt swap I pulled the mechanical fan and shroud to find the bottom of the shroud was cut off. I believe a dumba$$ mechanic who used to work on my jeep at my Uncle's garage cut it off, he was known for doing stupid things so I stopped going there. So rather than getting a new clutch and a shroud from the JY I installed a spare E fan I had.
I used an adjustable temp switch from Autozone and wired it up seperetly. At first I had it only wired up to a toggle switch. I had overheating problems before I did the swap. I couldn't sit and Idle for too long or the temp would start climbing. For the 2 months I ran the second E fan on a toggle switch I swear to the Almighty I didn't have to turn it on much. Under the same circumstances I didn't get the overheating I did with the mechanical fan. I don't understand why I didn't have to turn the second fan on when before with the mechanical running I would overheat. I didn't do anything else to the cooling system that would have change that.

You run a Taurus and a stock aux fan? I thought the Taurus fan was usually used alone. They fit in side by side, I take it?

Well, got my new sender installed, even on a 95deg day, my XJ does not get above 210. So I think I will go ahead and install the OEM electric fan in place of the mech fan and also install a switch for the existing aux fan.

You run a Taurus and a stock aux fan? I thought the Taurus fan was usually used alone. They fit in side by side, I take it?

Turn the fan vertical.

yep, turn the fan so that it is taller than it is wide and it will fit. you have to do some trimming on the taurus fan shroud. i also moved my rad forward a little bit to gain some more clearance between the fans and the engine

yep, turn the fan so that it is taller than it is wide and it will fit. you have to do some trimming on the taurus fan shroud. i also moved my rad forward a little bit to gain some more clearance between the fans and the engine

I've also heard of some people moving their tranny cooler down there where the taurus fan hangs lower.

I've also heard of some people moving their tranny cooler down there where the taurus fan hangs lower.

yep, did that too. i even have enough room that i am going to use a stock trans cooler for the power steering (i plan on doing an WJ ps pump).

How are you guys mounting these fans without any modifications? I couldn't even fit a stock efan between the radiator and the stock clutch fan pully. I know you can move the radiator forward or delete the clutch fan pully but for simplicity of finding an exact fit belt in the middle of nowhere.....I did fit a 10" flex a lite fan in place of the mechanical fan and it has been good. However I did acquire a 2 speed fan from an Astro van that I would like to use although it is quite deep and do not think it will fit either. I find it odd that there is so little room between the pullys and the radiator! I do have Browndog motor mounts too, it isn't like my motor is slouching forward anymore.

to get the most room you would have to remove the mech fan pully assembly and move the rad forward. dont be afraid to trim the fans shroud. if you dont want to cut the mech fan pully then you could just remove the studs and replace with button head bolts.

I did cut the studs down so they are flush with the end of the nut. I also trimmed one efan shroud down to the maximum and it still wasn't enough room. I don't know. Will have to experiment again this summer.

I have 2 oem e-fans: one on an adjustable temp switch(~$20 at AA) and the original one that can be switched on earlier than 230*. I pounded out the mech fan shaft and my brother cut the mech fan shroud tabs, moved and rewelded them so that the 2nd fan fit in like the stock one does. There is a 10" gap in the middle of the two fans. I had to grind the corner out of the alternator bracket and buzz off a little bit of the 0* timing pointer to fit the 2045mm belt. For the most part the original location does a better job of cooling down the radiator than the location where the mech fan is(was). It does a fine job cooling the high-comp 4.6 w/ax15 in 90*+DC area--I can't speak for whether it is sufficient to cool an aw-4 jeep in >100* temps.

Back