• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Good source for solid lug nuts?

montanaman

NAXJA Forum User
Hey ... I'm looking for solid lug nuts. I bought a set from Checkers's Auto Parts (before they went out of business), and they were crap. They stripped out after a few years.

Anybody have a good line on where I can get some good, high-quality lug nuts?

Does Dorman Brand make good quality lug nuts?

Thanks.

Last edited:
Got mine at Discount Tire, still fine after.... wow. I put my first set of MT/Rs (31x10.50s) on almost 10 years ago.

the idiots at big o tire stripped my studs and lugs on the front and my studs were a tad short after doing a rear disk swap. i got new studs and solid lug nuts from napa. been good since

Ok ... alljeep.com has McGard lug nuts for a great price ... can anybody else confirm they are as tough or tougher than the original factory lug nuts? (I'm not talking about the tin caps ... the underlying nuts from the factory are good strength.)

Last edited:
Ok ... I did some more research on McGard, and they are obviously very good. I just ordered 20 McGard lug nuts from alljeep.com.

If you have aluminum rims, get McGard # 64010. They have the "bulge" which produces a larger seat area found on the aluminum rims.

If you have steel rims, get McGard # 64000, which have the smaller seat area.

Thanks for all the help.

We had a parts store that carried chrome lugnuts in a box, probably about 50lbs in each one, you just reached in, counted out how many you wanted went an paid $1.50 each. The boxes were marked Cragar or keystone.
My customers shop has them too, he's got a wall rack with little compartments in it, got about 100 different pukka's in it with all kinds of them, he gets $2 each or so. He has a guy that comes in monthly and repopulates all his small parts bins, bulbs, nuts, bolts, cotter pins, etc.

The Dorman lugnuts are EOM - stainless shells on open nuts. These strip out because the wrong socket is used on a 1/2 drive impact gun, and nobody uses copper based anti seize on the threads except the factory. We keep driving rusty nuts onto worse studs with the wrong tool at too much pressure, and then complain. Oh well.

The other problem is the OEM replacements or Dorman are 3.50 each. Cheap solids are available for as little as 4.99 a set of 4. They rust a lot faster than the stainless shells, tho.

Use the copper anti sieze and the right socket like the factory does, and the problems won't be as bad.

The Dorman lugnuts are EOM - stainless shells on open nuts. These strip out because the wrong socket is used on a 1/2 drive impact gun, and nobody uses copper based anti seize on the threads except the factory. We keep driving rusty nuts onto worse studs with the wrong tool at too much pressure, and then complain. Oh well.

The other problem is the OEM replacements or Dorman are 3.50 each. Cheap solids are available for as little as 4.99 a set of 4. They rust a lot faster than the stainless shells, tho.

Use the copper anti sieze and the right socket like the factory does, and the problems won't be as bad.

I pretty much stopped using the aluminum anti-seize about 5 years ago. Now it's all copper based.

But Rich are they good quality or just China crap??

At the time I remember them having made in USA on them, and they didn't rust provided you used a nylon lined socket to put them on and take them off.

Got mine at Discount Tire, still fine after.... wow. I put my first set of MT/Rs (31x10.50s) on almost 10 years ago.

Pretty sure they use Gorilla brand lugnuts at Discount Tire, at least that's what they put on my KM2s a few weeks ago.

I got 20 of them at CostCo in 2006 when I got my All Terrains. They didn't want to sell them to me at first because they said they only usually replace ones that strip or are missing. But then he checked their supply and they had enough where he sold them. I think I paid $20 for a set of 20. OR something really close to that.

They are one piece chrome but they do rust. But so do my Crager center caps. A good washing and the rust is gone though.

Back