• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

U-JOINTS where and what to buy

MTBracer367

NAXJA Forum User
i know this has been covered 100 times over on here but apparently i'm retarded when it comes to searching

basicly i need some 297X u-joints for my front axle shafts in my 98 and i want to know whats the besy bang for my buck i've already smoked tons of duralst ones and i'm tired of replaceing them i want something that will hold up i know theres USA alloy and spicer and some others but idk what the general consenus on these is so tell me what you think

thanks,
-Dylan

Assuming you're also running stock shafts. There are stronger aftermarket axle joints available, but no point with stock shafts. You also need to get the full circle clips (snap rings) and not use the c-clips that come with the u-joints. A Spicer 760x joint installed with snap rings is stronger than the ears of the stock Spicer shafts.

NAPA usually carries Spicer parts, or order them online from anyplace that sells driveline parts. If you really want to quit blowing axles, you need to upgrade the shafts. A snap ringed 760x joint in a chromo shaft is pretty tough.

i understand the point of upgradeing shafts but it's not the shafts i breaking it's the sh!ty stock quality ujoints i have

i mean yeah it would be great to get some cromo's but unless u wanna PM me your credit card info it's not gonna happen

and i would prefer to go with online i have a little issue with my local napa owner

The napa stores around here stopped selling spicer products a few years back.
Try calling your local driveshaft/gear shop.

ok so do i just say "i need me some spicer 760x ujoints" and they give me them and they'll fit? basicly what i'm asking is 760 the only measurement or will i need more info

i didn't even really think about any of the local shops but i think the guy that made our drive shafts for our old pulling truck can get stuff like u-joints

ok so do i just say "i need me some spicer 760x ujoints" and they give me them and they'll fit? basicly what i'm asking is 760 the only measurement or will i need more info

i didn't even really think about any of the local shops but i think the guy that made our drive shafts for our old pulling truck can get stuff like u-joints

a u-joint is not some type of specialty item, maybe spicer needs to be ordered, but a ujoint can be found at any auto parts store. you could probably order spicer joints were you got the duralast u-joints from.

i'm aware u ujoint is nothing special that isn't what i asked

i asked if i needed to know any other mesaurement besides 760x

i am also aware you can buy them at most autoparts stores but i don't want any more oem quality ones because i've smoked more then 10 of them in less then 6 months because they aren't ment to handle anything over stock sized tires thats why i asked where i can get some aftermarket ones because i've already been through the routine of going to autozone or wherever only to break them 2 or 3 weeks later if i hadn't already bought every different kind they had there or i wouldn't have asked where else i could get them i already said i didn't want anything my local parts store had because they suck so please don't tell me to go buy there again.

sry if i sound a little angry there long day so far

YES...
Call first and ask if the carry spicer products.
If they do then all you ask for is a 760x u-joint and they'll know what you want.
If they dont carry spicer they'll probably try and sell you some brute force pos joints. DONT BUY THEM.

i am also aware you can buy them at most autoparts stores but i don't want any more oem quality ones because i've smoked more then 10 of them in less then 6 months because they aren't ment to handle anything over stock sized tires thats why i asked where i can get some aftermarket ones because i've already been through the routine of going to autozone or wherever only to break them 2 or 3 weeks later if i hadn't already bought every different kind they had there or i wouldn't have asked where else i could get them i already said i didn't want anything my local parts store had because they suck so please don't tell me to go buy there again.

sry if i sound a little angry there long day so far

Dude, you're asking again about aftermarket joints because you're blowing the OEM ones, yet you bag on me about getting my credit card number for aftermarket parts. I'm trying to answer your question........using my time.

A Spicer 760x joint is an OEM joint. In this case, the OEM part is stronger than the other brands of replacement joints. Your junk came new with Spicer u-joints. The 760x is the part number, not the dimensions, and yes you just ask for the part number. The 297x joint was superceded by the 760x joint, both are OEM Spicer joints but the 760x is slightly stronger.

One of the main reasons that u-joints break is because they pop the c-clip off under torque, then the cap starts to come out of the yoke and the joint breaks. Any u-joint is stronger if it's installed with full circle snap rings rather than the c-clips that come with the joint. Installing the joints with snap rings is even more important than which u-joint you use. Call a reputable driveline vendor and order some Spicer 760x joints and ask them for snap rings to install them. That will be your strongest set up with stock axles. Like I said previously, that combination is stronger than the ears on the stock axle shaft yokes.

I would listen to the Goatman he knows what hes taking about. Order some spicer 297's with full snap rings not c ring like stock.

oh boy, man we can't hold your hand on every little thing! You have to do some of the work yourself. How do you get up in the morning? Cmon man! Goatman has been very patient, and he clearly said get the ujoints with the snap rings that work for them when you buy them! faaawwwwkkkk!

I can never remember the frickin' size. I used a caliper to measure the groove and went to a local place and bought the snap rings. Many vendors now carry the right size snap rings.

A long time ago one of our gang bought a 100 of them, and we all threw them in our parts boxes. I still have spares. We've all run CTM's or Longfields or Randy's Super Joints for a long time, and they all come with snap rings, so someone who has done it much more recently might have an answer.......if you can't figure it out or buy them yourself.

call that guy on here... driveline something order the ALLOY USA joints (come with full rings and c's incase your lazy)

60 shipped or something cheap and dremel your ears to accept the full clips..

done!!

Back