• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

wont turn over

funvtec

NAXJA Forum User
i searched and narrowed it down to a few different things, but i figured with my explination of events you guys might be able to help me narrow it down a bit further.

90 4.0 4x4 automatic

i let my jeep sit for long periods of time and usually just a jump will get it going. This sime i went to jump it and I get all electrical power options working but it wont turn over. i can hear the fuel pump kick in. It turned over for a split second and now i get no revolutions of the engine. I guess i'm looking for what could have gone wrong out of the blue? I was thinking a bad starter. I can usually tell when a starter is going out because they give a few signs before they go for good. I then was thinking the NNS. or the CPS. let me know what you guys think.

If it was the CPS it would still crank, but not fire.

Have you tried banging on the starter? If it tryed to start, but just stopped all of a sudden, maybe it got jammed up. :dunno: I'm still a n00b.

thanks that eliminates 1 option. should i put a socket on the crank pulley and try to turn it by hand? CCW or CW?

make sure that the starter is getting 12V at the solenoid. Possibly the start relay has frozen from sitting.
for the truly brave, crawl under there with a screwdriver and jump the solenoid from the main bat connection.
I'm not responsible if you kill yourself, but I've started my junk like that. Desperate times...

thanks fellas, I've jumped starters before with a screwdriver without problem i may just put a new one in for good measure. if it doesn't fix it at least i know i have a new starter. as for starting it in N i've done that without luck.

thanks again.

wiggle the wires at the whacha macallit. the relay thingy that the positive wire from the battery goes. my 90 does that every once in a wile.

My thought is a battery gone south. A quick test is to turn on the lights. Then try and crank. Watch the brightness of the lights. If they dim when you crank, the battery is bad or you have a corroded connection.

90xj06 said:
wiggle the wires at the whacha macallit. the relay thingy that the positive wire from the battery goes. my 90 does that every once in a wile.

You are now on 'Tard watch!

what im trying to say is the i belive green wire that goes to the starter solinoid gets loose or corroded. and when you turn the key nothing. you can clean the wire and try that. also try starting it in neutral.

thanks everyone i swapped the starter and all is well. I guess it was showing signs of wear but it was so gradual that i didn't notice. The new one cranks the old monster very nice and fast.

thanks again

Back