• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

INTAKE AND EXHAUST 2000 XJ!

GrooGruxKing

NAXJA Forum User
Hi guys and gals,

I just purchased a 2000 Jeep Cherokee 4x4 Sport. I'm looking to purchase a K&N Cold Air Intake and a MAGNAFLOW Performance Cat-Back Exhaust System. I was wondering what you guys think would be the best on a college student's budget. I want quality parts though. I want a great sounding exhaust and I thik K&N is the best for intakes.

Let me know your thoughts.

Also is this something I could do on a Saturday morning by myself? Do I need to weld the exhaust together?

Thanks,

James

If you're seriously concerned about your budget, you should leave it stock. Both of those changes will give you very little in return for your hard earned dollars. If you need an exhaust due to rust there are several options for the Cherokee. I used this one and have been very happy with the sound:

http://www.quadratec.com/products/77608_701.htm

It installed very easily and replaced the stock CBE perfectly.

yeah x2 on what he said and i would especially recomend staying with stock aribox if you plan on offroading it at all that was my first mistake with my 98 when i bought it and it landed me hydrolocked in the middle of the woods.

-Dylan

x3, save your money for school.

i would be more concerned that the cooling system is in good operating condition as the head is prone to cracking when over heated on the 00-01 xj's

as for the install, no you dont need to weld it together and if everything went well, it should only take a staurday mourning to get it done, but when does everything go as planned when working on a vehicle? even though its just an intake and catback, plan on all day saturday to be on the safe side if you decide on doing it anyway.

my experience with the 4.0 is that it came from the factory fairly stout and the bolt-ons for the 4.0 dont have the same effect as bolt-ons do on other engines.

If anything, get a green air filter, pretty much like a K&N but, enviro friendly, as with it's cleaning solution and oil.

id stay away from the oil filters can actually do more harm then good if not regularly maintained especially if you plan to do alot of offroading

Save your money for the 0331 head cracking syndrome. And if you replace with the earlier head like 0730, the header won't fit anyway (exhaust ports too small on the header). Best add on for off road is recovery points. Nothing wrong with changing the muffler, but it will never sound like a V8.

im a poor college kid too and i had put a magnaflow catback on my 2001 and it did sound great. nice low rumble and sounded up nicely around 2500+rpm. for some reason though there was a gap between the muffler and the tail pipe when we hooked it up and i had to run an extra piece of tubing to span the gap (yes i cut the old muffler off as close as i could).

no welding, if i recall correctly they supply clamps and a band clamp with it too. i ditched that for a regular exhaust clamp cause the band clamp didnt hold the connection well enough and it leaked. as for doing it by yourself, its do-able but much easier with a buddy (plus he can drive you to the parts store if you need something like an extra piece of piping)

i now have a 96 and just put on a thrush turbo muffler with a turn down. cost me about $40 and sounds good. can't beat it for the price.

looking back now, the price of the magnaflow wasnt worth it

Last edited:
Hop around on ebay. Snag a carsound magnaflow cat for $60 shipped, and another $80 on the dynomax cat-back and you'll be golden. Unless you want a super throaty rumble, go with the magnaflow or chokemaster, maybe a spintech or bassani. I'm definitely satisfied with the dynomax though.

Back