• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ideas courtesy of Guinness... dual fuel XJ?

ChevelleSSLS6

NAXJA Forum User
It'd be neat if there were a way to convert our Jeep 4.0s to run off multiple fuels (propane, etc...) with a flip of a switch (and twist of a propane valve... tank valve and a system valve that would be within drivers reach for safety purposes).
confuse.gif
seems to me if it were on one switch, there would need to be 2 fuel systems (stock gasoline injection and a propane carburetor for example) and it'd also turn the gasoline pump OFF while burning propane. Perhaps it'd need a seperate computer, or maybe the stock computer would allow the engine to run with no fuel pump operation and the propane carb going...
:cheers:

-matt

The real issue is space(or lack of it).Other than that it been done before.

maybe a simple tbi setup then... using the TPS readings off the factory tb and o2 readings, etc. going to a custom engine computer (this would be a lot of wiring and stuff to be able to 'switch')

The 'propane injector' would either be in the intake elbow before the throttle body, or the intake manifold would be drilled and tapped... might be better to have a sort of 'constant flow' port injection setup with one injector per intake runner.

GM has vehicles that run off of gas and propane.. suburban, tahoes, trucks.

There was a thread a few months ago on this topic. The OP was from England and the xj was set up to run on gasoline or propane.
The search button is your friend.

There was a thread a few months ago on this topic. The OP was from England and the xj was set up to run on gasoline or propane.

Yeah it's definitely do-able as long as you have the space for the propane tank. My coworker runs his big RV on both propane and gas.

Our fork lift here at work is a dual fuel vehicle as well. Plop a propane tank on the back, plug it in, open the valve and then flip a switch in the "cab" to either gasoline or propane. It's a Mitsubishi fork running a Nissan 2.1l 4 cyl.

just finished converting a s10 to propane. propane tanks have to be mounted outside of the vehicle, but within the vehicle dimensions, depending on the wheel base theres different requirements. you use a computer hooked in parallel, with a two position s/w (gas + propane), the aftermarket computer controls a seperate set of aux injectors plumbed into the intake manifold. the aftermarket computer is wired into the stock INJ circuit, but pulse widths can be modified to tune the vehicle. a CTS is wired in as well to the aftermarket computer, because the propane won't run properly on a cold engine.

Bottom line is "why".Weve got over 2000 vehicles in our fleet.Since the early 90's we were under federal mandate to do like 20% alt fuel vehicles(over 200 of them were RHD XJ's and TJ's).We tried everything from "Dual" fuel,to "single" fuel,to Hybrid electrics,and a couple "hydrogen" units.Fuels used were LPG,CNG,Bio/Veggie diesel,etc.As of this year most have been auctioned off(I kinda liked my 2004 Ford 7700 on only CNG).Bottom line(with the exception of the BIO/Veggie diesels) has been a lack of reduction in emissions or reduction in the use of petroleum products.Maintanance costs were extremely high.

I searched for 'propane conversion' and nothing useful came up on the first couple pages that I scanned over. I could have dug deeper though...

Bottom line is "why".

Some sort of protection from gas prices. In a recent issue of diesel power they had a short article on a guy that somehow used the current GM v6 engines on diesel (I'm sure they're better than the old 350 Olds diesels)... I'm not sure if it was actually diesel, or gasoline injected at/near TDC compression, or how it worked... I'll have to read up on that.

veggie oil rocks! so long as it's not cold (then it turns to essentially refined lard)

Back