• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

8.8 Spacer/Wheel Back Space Issue

Flyfisher

NAXJA Forum User
I've searched, but didn't find the answer I was looking for. I've built a Ford 8.8 for the rear of my '89 XJ (Wagoneer LTD) and know its 5/8" narrower each side than the weak D35 it replaced. Mounting the stock aluminum wheels left them about 1/4" from the leaf springs...too close!

If I get spacers for the read (1.25" minimum), the rear ends up wider than the front (not good for highway manners). If I get new wheels with different back-spacing, the differential width front-to-rear is big.

How do you guys handle this...spacers for rear only? Spacers of different widths for front & rear? I know (being an engineer) that the rear should be narrower than the front for proper handling on the highway. If I space the rear by 1" or more...it will be wider than the front...not a good thing.

Spacers for front and rear, with wider spacers for front?

I'm interested to know how you handle this...and how it drives on the highway...

thanks in advance

1/4" from the leaf springs should be fine...

I run some cheap 8mm spacers on either side of my 8.8 but i do also have 3.75" BS wheels.

I know clearance should be fine...but my lower leaf had a tendency to move...to twist..and that would put it in a position to cut the tire! Looking for some peace of mind..

Well 8mm is roughly 5/16" so youd be sitting at about a 9/16" gap just a little over 1/2" if that makes you feel any better.

To have a complete peace of mind I would just go to a 3.75 or 4" BS rim. That would be the best way to solve your problem.

I run a 3/8 inch spacer. My 33s are 1/2inch from the springs and it's been fine for 4 or 5 years

I would say just spend the 200-250 on some steelies with better backspacing and call it a day. I have spacers on my 8.8 with stock wheels but its definitely in the works to get some new wheels.

c-clip eliminators. 2 birds, one stone.

Cragar Soft 8's and V5's FTW!

I run 1.25" spacers and 15x8 rims with 4" backspacing - for now, and works fine on 33 12.5's.

Once I get the D44 front in, I'll be running 1.25" adapters and 15X8 rims with 3.75" backspacing with 35 x13.5 tires. Should still work for me

OK...lots of good advice/experience. I've ordered wheels with 4" backspacing...will probably run without any spacers for now. Maybe some spacers for the rear in the future. I'm curious to see if I'll have fender rubbing issues in the front now (with the lower backspacing). I'll let you know...when my wheels get here!

Back