• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

EXHAUST & INTAKE

GrooGruxKing

NAXJA Forum User
Hi guys and gals,

I just purchased a 2000 Jeep Cherokee 4x4 Sport. I'm looking to purchase a K&N Cold Air Intake and a MAGNAFLOW Performance Cat-Back Exhaust System. I was wondering what you guys think would be the best on a college student's budget. I want quality parts though. I want a great sounding exhaust and I thik K&N is the best for intakes.

Let me know your thoughts.

Also is this something I could do on a Saturday morning by myself? Do I need to weld the exhaust together?

Thanks,

James

The stock air box flows more then plenty for the 4.0. I would stick to that.

As for the exhaust, there are many different systems and everyone will tell you they like one or the other better...

Personally i had mine custom made with 2.25" from the header to my Magnaflow hi-flow cat, then 2.5" from the cat to my single chamber Spintech muffler then a turn down right after.

Your better off having the exahust welded together but most kits that you can buy will come with exahust clamps that slip around the joints and you tighten up. Theyll work ok i suppose.

The whole job shouldnt take you more then a day.

BTW, welcome to NAXJA. Make sure you read the forum stickies and use the search function. This link should help.

Remove the venturi/silencer from the intake air tube that connects the airbox lid to the throttle body. If anything get a K&N drop in filter. Safer to do it that way when wheeling around water especially!

The K&N kit is nice, but $250 for the few extra hp is pricey. A bored out throttle body is cheaper and makes more horsepower. As for the exhaust, I've priced it over and over - most exhaust mods are best left to a shop that can bend and weld it all in. They can do it under an hour, usually, and there no problems. Just shop it, get prices, and recommendations from hot rodders and parts houses.

The best mod for the exhaust is slightly upsized down pipe with no constrictions and smooth mandrel bends, then a quiet turbo muffler after cat.

Don't be a mall merchandise shopper - learn what really works, not what is just hyped a lot. I see a lot of guys buying brands and reputation, but it doesn't seem to work as well as serious development and research on our part - something we share here a lot.

The FIPK is way overpriced. You can make an intake for much cheaper. Get one of those ricer filters from a parts store, about 20 bucks, and you may need some tube of some kind to attach it. For the exhaust, it would be cheaper to just replace the muffler than to get a whole catback system. I used to have a Thrush turbo muffler, which was 20 bucks. I also used to have a glasspack, also 20 bucks. There's also a Thrush welded muffler, which is a chambered muffler, so it sounds like a flowmaster. I currently have a Dynomax Ultraflow welded muffler, which is a strait through muffler (basically a $70 glasspack). The regular glasspack was plenty loud, annoying at times, the thrush turbo and the dynomax were about the same loudness, which is about perfect.

In April I decided to get rid of my Cherry Bomb Turbo muffler and put a piece of pipe in its place. Very nice, cost me $2.00, and I still am using the cat.....

If I ever get annoyed I might toss on a glasspack.

I use a K&N drop in air filter. On my original airbox I opened the front hole to about twice its size. But then when I got into the whole off-roading activity there were a few close calls with water. Got a junkyard airbox and dropped it in. Going to make a homemade snorkel into the cowl this summer.....at least that is the plan!

Back