• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Slave Cylinder

andyszafran

NAXJA Forum User
I am in the process of swapping out my motor but I just remembered that my brakes were getting a little soft. Isn't that usually the slave cylinder that is a pain in the butt to get to? Should I look to do the slave cylinder as well.

Well, you could do it, but it doesn't have anything to do with your brakes.

Just to make sure, you have a manual transmission in XX year?

Your brake system is one master cylinder, two front calipers, two rear wheel cylinders, various steel and flexible lines, pads, shoes, and some small hardware.

Manual transmission has master cylinder (its own) and a slave. Depending on year, internal or external slave.

Brakes, or clutch?

Brake slave cylinders are down at the wheels, and not particularly hard to replace, as long as the mounts and lines aren't too corroded. You just have to bleed the lines afterwards.

Now, if you've got an early model stick shift, with the internal slave (93 and earlier, IIRC,) then, heck yes, put a new slave in for sure.

And regardless of year, if it's a stick, you won't have a better time to put in a new clutch for nothing more than the cost of parts.

Back