• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Installing a lockrite c clip locker in a Dana 35 bolt in?

Hubbazoot

NAXJA Forum User
I've heard it's possible, but I'm still not sure. Multiple part question.

1) is this possible to do?
2) if it is possible, what is a link to a good howto for this?
3) what special tools would I need to undertake this project myself?

I'm wondering why you're locking a D35. As it been said many times...spending $$ on the D35 is like putting lipstick on a pig.

Just a comment...not to be derogetory!...

Just to let you know...I had a D35...replaced it with a Ford 8.8 with an ected e-locker...will never go back! I understand if you can't afford the $$ to do the conversion...just worried that you'll spend more $$ to "fix" the D35, and end up with something inferior.

No special tools or anything like that needed for installation in a bolt-in axle?

Nothing your basic backyard mechanic won't have laying about the garage.

The instruction manual that comes with them is extremely detailed, and IIRC has a list of tools needed to install the locker.

...just worried that you'll spend more $$ to "fix" the D35, and end up with something inferior.
(I've had the D35 "talk" from my naxja friends. I know the risks.)
I'm running 30's. I've talked to other people who have done the same thing I'm about to do. I'll be fine.

Nothing your basic backyard mechanic won't have laying about the garage.

The instruction manual that comes with them is extremely detailed, and IIRC has a list of tools needed to install the locker.
You're right, they're good instructions. I just don't know what's what in the diffo. Any good labeled pictures of a D35 bolt-in axle? or something that would have the same layout?

C-Clip axles are retained by a c-clip at the axle end inside the carrier.

Bearing retained axles have a retaining plate at the wheel side. They are the same bolts whch hold on the brake backing plate.

As a general statement, the very early XJs (84 though about 90) had bearing retained axles. Pretty much everything else except the D44 axles had C-Clips.

Good luck with your Install!

Last edited:
Firts look behined the back of your drum breaks, where the axle tube meets your brake assembly. If there are four bolts there that appear to be bolting the axle tube to the brakes then you have a semi float axle. If not then it is a c-clip axle and there will be clips inside of the carrier on the axle shafts that you will remove before you pull the carrier. The axles are not pressed into the housing and will come out and go in easily once you either unbolt them from the housing, or remove the c-clips in the carrier. Id read the instructions 4 or 5 times before you start. It is a reaaaaally easy install but if you don't take the neccesary steps in will become a PITA for you. Make sure you mark the bearing caps and there orientaion to the housing BEFORE you remove them. Also, use a new cross shaft retaining bolt. Those are my 2 peices of advice. Good luck!

I pulled off the drum and indeed verified that I do have a bolt-on rear differential.

Bad news... I think the lock pins fell out of my locker kit. I had a hole in the bag and the instructions call for lock pins that I can't find anywhere.

I pulled off the drum and indeed verified that I do have a bolt-on rear differential.

Bad news... I think the lock pins fell out of my locker kit. I had a hole in the bag and the instructions call for lock pins that I can't find anywhere.
Good news. Found the lock pins, but I have no idea what the bearing caps are and their housings. Where are these?

Dang dude.... you might want to wait till you have somebody there that knows what they are doing to help you. Im not trying to be mean but the bearing caps are pretty basic, and other than taking off the diff cover its probably the most straight forward part of the install. To answer your question the bearing caps are part of what the carrier bearings ride on and what holds the carrier into the housing other than the axle shafts. The bearing caps are literally cut out of the housing after the housing is cast and machined for the bearings, so it is extreamly important that they go back on the same way they came out. There will be one of these on either side of the carrier, held on by two bolts per side. To do this install you will have to pull the axle shafts, take off the cover, take off the caps, remove the carrier, remove the cross shaft from the carrier, remove the ring gear, remove the spider gears, install the locker correctly, then put it all back together making sure you torque everything back to spec. Im sure there is somebody on this board that lives close enough to you that would be willing to lend you a hand. Check your local chapter, there are alot of good people on here!

Dang dude.... you might want to wait till you have somebody there that knows what they are doing to help you. Im not trying to be mean but the bearing caps are pretty basic, and other than taking off the diff cover its probably the most straight forward part of the install. To answer your question the bearing caps are part of what the carrier bearings ride on and what holds the carrier into the housing other than the axle shafts. The bearing caps are literally cut out of the housing after the housing is cast and machined for the bearings, so it is extreamly important that they go back on the same way they came out. There will be one of these on either side of the carrier, held on by two bolts per side. To do this install you will have to pull the axle shafts, take off the cover, take off the caps, remove the carrier, remove the cross shaft from the carrier, remove the ring gear, remove the spider gears, install the locker correctly, then put it all back together making sure you torque everything back to spec. Im sure there is somebody on this board that lives close enough to you that would be willing to lend you a hand. Check your local chapter, there are alot of good people on here!
I'm all set. I was able to get all my questions answered. Awesome sweet it'll be in tomorrow night. The only thing I'm a little curious about is how the ratcheting will work on a bolt-on axle. For some reason, I keep thinking that the c-clips somehow retain the outer two gears on the locker in place.

Last edited:
Back