• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

some info on reiter

okeedokee

NAXJA Forum User
New emphasis on education and enforcement in Reiter Foothills
Last Friday, May 1, DNR, state and local law enforcement, and volunteers began an intensive education and awareness campaign in the Reiter Foothills, in eastern Snohomish County. The focus of the campaign is to let people know about the problems that have been occurring in Reiter from overuse, vandalism, and unauthorized trail building.
Many of you know that Reiter Foothills is a popular place to go off-road riding. And if you’ve been to Reiter, you know that there’s been a lot of damage to the area’s natural resources, particularly the streams and other sensitive habitats. DNR and a citizens’ advisory group are working on a recreation plan for the area. A draft of the plan will be available for review and comment this summer. In the meantime, DNR and its many partners had to take some immediate actions to reduce and correct some of the damage. If you’d like to know more about Reiter and even take part in a work party, contact Candace Johnson at 360-854-2803 or [email protected].

Thanks Duane for sharing this, I planned on doing the same.

What I thought was most important about this is the issue of "unauthorized trail building". This should be a reminder for all of us to stay of trails that are not marked!!

Michael

And for those not street legal, I believe there's a trail in the works to be built so you can go from the bottom trailer parking to all of the top trails without touching pavement.

~Scott

And for those not street legal, I believe there's a trail in the works to be built so you can go from the bottom trailer parking to all of the top trails without touching pavement.

~Scott

There pretty much already is one. You leave the main staging area and head back into the woods (towards the north...?) and meet up with the lower powerlines. You then hit stair-step (Alex can correct me if this is incorrect), cross the road, do a small loop, and then cross again farther up Reiter Road to get the upper powerline area by Rhinoland and whatnot. This is the path that Horus took during the clean-up to obey the rules, seeing as his rig is not street legal, and this is the path they have setup for rigs of his class. Though they touch the road, it is only to cross all 20 feet of it.

-Lyle

There pretty much already is one. You leave the main staging area and head back into the woods (towards the north...?) and meet up with the lower powerlines. You then hit stair-step (Alex can correct me if this is incorrect), cross the road, do a small loop, and then cross again farther up Reiter Road to get the upper powerline area by Rhinoland and whatnot. This is the path that Horus took during the clean-up to obey the rules, seeing as his rig is not street legal, and this is the path they have setup for rigs of his class. Though they touch the road, it is only to cross all 20 feet of it.

-Lyle

But when a buggy is in a group of smaller rigs, they need something like the powerlines to go up. So they've been working on trying to get a powerlines type trail up there.

~Scott

another update.

As you are probably aware, last weekend we launched our campaign to emphasize education and enforcement at Reiter Foothills. I’d like to give you and update on what happened last weekend, let you know what’s coming up at Reiter, and send out some well-deserved thanks,

Update on Reiter

Last weekend (May 2-3), we focused on enforcing general rules and regulations and educating visitors about upcoming changes in Reiter Foothills. For the most part, everyone was well behaved.

Officer Ron Whitehall, DNR, reported that he and Officer Gary Marghaim, DNR, made 79 contacts to inform visitors about upcoming changes and let people know they violating, issued one infraction citation, and made two arrests for behavioral issues. (Both subjects were booked in Snohomish County Jail.) On Sunday, Officer Whitehall also helped out Snohomish County law enforcement with 10 target shooters on Sultan Basin Road, which was not on DNR property.

This week at Reiter Foothills

- We’ll start allowing limited camping in two temporarily designated areas in the gravel pit and the upper staging area.

- Sani-cans will be installed in the designated temporary camping areas.

- The gate to DNR’s May Creek Mainline Road will be permanently closed to street vehicles

- Updating and installing new signs.

- Issuing citations instead of warnings for illegal activities.

- Distributing more informational flyers. (See attached.)

Thank you, volunteers, and partners!

Sunday’s Reiter Foothills Clean-up Day was a huge success! More than 300 volunteers from the ORV community came out to help clean up trash and debris from the area. Many thanks to the following for sponsoring this event: Washington Motorsports Dealers Association, Pacific Northwest 4 Wheel Drive Association, Snohomish County Solid Waste, and Waste Management.

We really appreciate all the hard work from our partners and volunteers. Together we can all make Reiter Foothills safe, healthy, and fun!

If you have any questions or comments about Reiter, please contact me.

Candace Johnson
Assistant Region Manager, State Lands
Northwest Region DNR
(360) 854-2803

Sounds like things could be turning for the better. Play by the rules and your good to go is what it sounds like to me.

One question though; where is May Creek Mainline Road?

-Lyle

Back