• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

these tow hooks any good

You WILL bend them, it's just a matter of time. Get some hooks from C4x4 or from the Dealer. They have a few extra brackets and are way stronger. I've been yanked HARD from the side using my factory brackets and they haven't bent, while I know of 3 people with Rusty's brackets (they don't have the extra support) and they have all bent sideways.

Those are crap, you will bend them or worse you could kill someone. Get c4x4 they are the closest to the OEM hooks

RyleyF said:
You WILL bend them, it's just a matter of time. Get some hooks from C4x4 or from the Dealer. They have a few extra brackets and are way stronger. I've been yanked HARD from the side using my factory brackets and they haven't bent, while I know of 3 people with Rusty's brackets (they don't have the extra support) and they have all bent sideways.
really? you must be speaking from experience...?

i think they look like a great alternative. the only way your could bend them would be to first rip them off the frame, and with that many bolts in a double-thick section I don't see that happening.

the only way they would hold up would be to pull staight on them, and when in the real world do you get pulled straight?, there is NO side to side reinforcment

and you can save 2% if you buy from them, thats $1.50

they do look good and I'm looking for some. pulling on the axle is not going to happen again

Last edited:
BrettM said:
i think they look like a great alternative. the only way your could bend them would be to first rip them off the frame, and with that many bolts in a double-thick section I don't see that happening.
I have the Trailhunters towhooks, front and rear, and they are holding up just fine. I've pulled to the side with them too, and no problems yet. They're sort of a pain to install though. The steering box bolts get in the way when you install the front driver's side hook, and the exhaust pipe makes it tough to install the rear passenger hook. Also, the brackets for the rear hooks didn't exactly line up with each other, or the holes in the frame. It took a little massaging with a Dremel to get them to mount up.

Luckily, all my heavy pulling has been from the rear, with my Class III trailer hitch (like two massive wranglers similatneously pulling me out of being sunk in quicksand). My tow hook brackets look like this, http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f251/begster/p17635.jpg, and pulling out a stuck grand made the bracket pivot, which in turn twisted my bumper. Easy to fix though, and now know they are only for real emergencies.

begster said:
Luckily, all my heavy pulling has been from the rear, with my Class III trailer hitch (like two massive wranglers similatneously pulling me out of being sunk in quicksand). My tow hook brackets look like this, http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f251/begster/p17635.jpg, and pulling out a stuck grand made the bracket pivot, which in turn twisted my bumper. Easy to fix though, and now know they are only for real emergencies.

That is why I use a class III hitch in front for recovery.

tow hooks are for people who need them........

and i dont..........

and not because my jeeps done everytrail in JV, Moab, and Paragon without ever needing a tug......

its because cause i blew my tranny :D

AlohaBra said:
That is why I use a class III hitch in front for recovery.

Ya I have seen a lot of people do that, and I just rememered that a friend of mine bought a class III hitch for her Jeep, and decided to get another one installed by U-Haul. I'll be giving her a call tomorrow. Question, what type of brackets do you use?

begster said:
Ya I have seen a lot of people do that, and I just rememered that a friend of mine bought a class III hitch for her Jeep, and decided to get another one installed by U-Haul. I'll be giving her a call tomorrow. Question, what type of brackets do you use?

FWIW there has been some discussion around here about mounting hitches and I belive the concensus is that U-Haul's method (at least for the rear hitch) isn't the best thing going. I don't know how the front would mount, but I'd make sure I'd have pleanty of bracing behind the frame rail so as not to rip the bolts out with a good tug.

chances are ill be selling my c4x4 tow hooks and brackets this coming week when my bumper build is done. theyre still in great condition, nothin different than when i put em on. ill say this, they are GREAT. ive used them a bunch and a few times ive *REALLY* used them, and they havnt budged a millimeter.

anodyne33 said:
FWIW there has been some discussion around here about mounting hitches and I belive the concensus is that U-Haul's method (at least for the rear hitch) isn't the best thing going. I don't know how the front would mount, but I'd make sure I'd have pleanty of bracing behind the frame rail so as not to rip the bolts out with a good tug.

Actually, my rear is a U-Haul, and has held up to more than its fair share of towing and pulling. It has held up to its strongest pull yet, in which two jacked up wranglers on 36's, fully locked, had to both at the same time pull me out because one couldn't do it alone. My car just basically sunk in here, front right tire is flexed so far that the coil is no longer touching, and the back left is a couple inches above the ground. After taking two steps into the water, I sank down to my knees.
DSC01081.jpg

Its also held up to being winched sideways off this tree, and nothing bad has happened.
Copyof000_0108.jpg

So I would have to say that U-Haul is doing something right, other wise my hitch wouldn't still be attached, So, I don't quite understand what your refering to.

===========================
would have to say that U-Haul is doing something right, other wise my hitch wouldn't still be attached, So, I don't quite understand what your refering to.
============================
U-drag stuff is not all created the same. Some of it I would not pull a shopping cart with. Others stuff is a good part for the money.

begster said:
DSC01081.jpg

So I would have to say that U-Haul is doing something right, other wise my hitch wouldn't still be attached, So, I don't quite understand what your refering to.

Damn! That's a hell of a sinkhole! I've read here that U-Haul uses (if you don't have nutstrips) either nutserts or small pieces of square plate on the inside of the frame that might be more succeptible to pulling out. Looks like you've disproved that though. Out of curiousity, did you have nutstrips in the frame or did they put something in there to mount to?
-s

back to the hooks and brakcets please i actually made my own brackets just like these and everyone told me dont use them, so as the story goes i DID NOT use them, now i see a company that makes the same exact thing, I can weld on a tie-in to the side fo the brackets to tie-in a bolt on the side of the frame rail is it worth it????? this will save me from spending 80$ on some brackets someone else made.

Back