• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Manual Trans What are these???

1985xjlaredo

NAXJA Forum User
hey found this just dangling under the Jeep the other day. It's 2 rubber hoses with a bracket that mmounts to the top starter bolt. It's a BA 10-5 5speed 4.oL Cheif. Kinda looks as if it would route the fluid to the front of the XJ somewhere but I don't see anything that it could go to. It was conected to the trans with a 1" diameter white plastic piece that goes into the top of the trans
33292530002_large.jpg

33292530003_large.jpg

Oh and here is a pic of where the white plastic thing goes
33292530007_large.jpg

Goes right on top of the trans about where you see the wires going to the back of the transmission
Anyone have any Idea what this is?

Vent tube.

Yea I thought that but then why the 2 of them?

Check and see if the transfer case vent tube is intact.

http://memimage.cardomain.com/ride_images/3/3318/61/33292530003_large.jpg IIRC, this plastic piece goes into the top of the trans and the hose gets routed up past the starter and near the upper control arm mount. the other hose must be for the transfercase or possibly the axle disconnect. the soft vacuum lines should run into a metal junction mounted near the control arm mount
Well the rubber hoses do connect to metal tubes on a bracket that mounts to the top starter bolt but where do they go from there? I mean if they were vent tubes wouldn't they just end some where close to the trans?

Thats where they end. The vent just needs to be higher than the tranny and up out of the way where it won't get water splashed into it. You can add some length if do water crossings.

Everyone's right here.

The vent tube exists as a sort of "buffer zone" in case you have fluid up near the vent as the transmission internals get hot - it gives the fluid room to trickle back down and allow the transmission to "pass gas," as it were. Air will flow back in as it cools - if you like to play in the water, you're definitely going to want to restore the lines and extend them!

Ideally, there should be four vent lines - transmission, transfer case, front axle, and rear axle. Standard rubber tubing can be used for replacement - I've used power steering hose or transmission cooler hose with good results (pressure isn't the problem, but the detergents and additives in the fluid can be. PS or ATC line is formulated to withstand all of that sort of thing.)

Looks like the plastic bung is stil in decent shape - use a new razor blade and carefully cut the old line off of the barbed nipple. You should not need to clamp the new line on - it doesn't have to hold pressure. Extend upwards as far as you feel necessary, based on where you like to play and just how much water you like to play in.

ok well Ill just get some new hose and do all four vents. Just seems like a very elaborate vent system especially from the factory.

Back