• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Too much trackbar movement?

Timber

NAXJA Forum User

It's torqued to spec., so should overtighten it or replace?

EDIT: Oh, yeah. I know I need to replace the boot on the drag link, so thanks in advance for those who'd notice.

You can usually feel a pop when turning slowly (say backing out of a parking space) when it's really bad. Is your XJ lifted? Just replace it.

Last edited:
There should be no movement in the track bar. If you can observe movement when someone turns the steering wheel back and forth, bushings, track bar mount and the track-bar rod-end are suspect, and need correction.

I've only got about an extra inch in front to make up for the weight of a winch. Yes, I do get popping right away in reverse and occasionally on turns. I'm a stay-at-home dad with two kids, so I don't get much time to work on it anymore. The wife's very supportive of the hobby; she's just not very useful in that helpful kind of way one needs when checking steering and suspension stuff.

Luckily, it's a Moog with a lifetime warranty. Unfortunately, I have the original box but not the receipt from the shop in town where I bought it, so hope they'll take it back.

Got it replaced. Thanks for the advice, guys. It turned out that I had a TRW one and they replaced it with a Moog with no charge for the difference. Great customer service. It is a Murray's, which in other parts of the country are O'Reilly's. Now to hunt down more wobbly stuff.

Back