• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need quick advice on what rotation water pump to buy

KaiserMan

NAXJA Forum User
From what I've read all 242's use the reverse rotation water pumps (since they all had serp. belts). I just spun my pump over by hand (with the lower hose off) and it's pumping fluid out while turning it clockwise, and not pumping anything out while turning it counter clockwise.

Is my pump a reverse rotation (seems to me revearse rotaion would be counter clockwise?)?

What SHOULD my 90 4.0 Cherokee have for a water pump?

Advanced auto doesn't say what rotation thier pump is, just that it is the short hub height.

I want to get the pump done today, and I was going to head out to buy the new one in aobut 1/2 an hour untill I started wondering what style I need.

Any help is a ppreciated. Thanks.

The pully turns clockwise, as that is due to the routing of the belt, but the impellar, when you look at it from inside, turns CCW. (This is at least what I've gathered from a few descriptions that I looked at as I'm ordering one now as well)

The pulley and impeller turn counter clockwise when viewed from the front of the vehicle. Get a pump from your parts house for the 4.0 xj. This will be a reverse rotation pump and if you look carefully you should find an "R" stamped on it somewhere. (At least every one I've ever seen had the "R".)

[FONT=&quot]Had some fridge repair guys stop by to fix our refrigerator, so I have not picked the pump up yet.

The pump was only spitting out fluid when I turned it clockwise, but it was marked R.

I'm on the horn with advanced auto making sure that their ...never mind. The guy just said the impellor has an R on it. Guess it's the right one.

Going to get it now.
[/FONT]

Back