• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

flipped 231 (box4rocks) and dana 300

BRIANHO13

<- Yum Chocolate
Here is what everything looks like prior to going into the rig.
4d46zi0.jpg

Here is how much you will have to cut if you want to go this route.
48vy0ll.jpg

The 300 has upgraded 32 spline outputs (front and rear) to handle the torque and will be twin sticked as soon as I add a couple bends to the shifters. Dana 44 front already has chromo shafts and superjoints, so the front digs will be fun.

MogifiedXJ said:
It looks sweet...How long is the tc assembley now?

Here's some comparison pics I took when I did mine.

box18.JPG

box14.JPG

box16.JPG

I'm running the D300 passenger drop in my XJ though, clocked nearly flat. Whole nother world of cuttin. It's another inch higher than shown here, to give you an idea.

inside1.JPG

rough1.JPG

Questions for BRIANHO - why flip the 231 case and not just the D300? Better shifter clearance or something? What did you do about the vent tube on the 231? Are you planning on bracing the D300 at all?

You can add some bling to the Box4Rox pretty easily too, by getting some pipe-to-tube fittings and a 6" length of 1/4" OD clear plastic tube. You can sorta see it on the adapter plate in this pic.

under2.JPG

vetteboy said:
Questions for BRIANHO - why flip the 231 case and not just the D300? Better shifter clearance or something? What did you do about the vent tube on the 231? Are you planning on bracing the D300 at all?

I had to flip the 231 case, because it interferes with the 300 yoke. I threaded the original 231 vent with a 1/8" NPT and plugged it, then put a new vent on the top (you can see it in the pic), going to make it a right angle though. I think I need to brace the 300 somehow, I will be taking a better look at it once I get the shafts done.

BRIANHO13 said:
I had to flip the 231 case, because it interferes with the 300 yoke. I threaded the original 231 vent with a 1/8" NPT and plugged it, then put a new vent on the top (you can see it in the pic), going to make it a right angle though. I think I need to brace the 300 somehow, I will be taking a better look at it once I get the shafts done.

OK, yeah, I see it now. That's weird. I've been through that case dozens of times but I never really looked at it upside down. :wierd:

I haven't braced my 300 yet either. Post up when you do it, or if I get to mine first, I'll put up some pics.

Kinda neat having nearly 45:1 just from the transmission and t-cases. That's better than my old crawl ratio was (including the axle). :( I'll be at 185:1 overall but it's still on jackstands, so that's kind of a moot point.

very interesting, Curious as to what the benifit of this is and how hard was it to make two different transfer cases mate together? Is that half a 231 or a full 231 without the tailcone

Yucca-Man said:
You are correct, but you are using the wrong formula...

2.72 x 2.72 = 7.3984 reduction

This is correct. I left the stock gears in the 300 (2.62) so I have a little higher ratio, 7.1, I guess it will have to do:D . Already sold my 231 with the 4:1. and the doubler is only the front half of the 231 (split the 231 and cut off the front output).

I think that answered all the questions. Oh yea if you use a 231 behind a 231 it will be pretty darn long, but you wouldn't have to mess with flipping the first 231.

.Can't tell from the fotos, are the driveshafts supported-.just curious, how is that additional transfer weight supported on the crossmembers?

jeepnuts311 said:
brianHO,

why didnt you leave it the way you had it in the second picture with driver side drop?

oiling problems with the flipped 300?

-Tim

Not sure what you are saying, it is set up for drivers drop. People flip 300s all the time and I haven't heard of any oiling issues.

bxj said:
.Can't tell from the fotos, are the driveshafts supported-.just curious, how is that additional transfer weight supported on the crossmembers?

Driveshafts supported? I plan on adding another tranny support to my tcase skid.

BRIANHO13 said:
Not sure what you are saying, it is set up for drivers drop. People flip 300s all the time and I haven't heard of any oiling issues.

sorry, i misquoted you, it was vetteboy who said he was running passenger side drop.

vetteboy said:
I'm running the D300 passenger drop in my XJ though, clocked nearly flat. Whole nother world of cuttin. It's another inch higher than shown here, to give you an idea.

-Tim

Back