• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How much lift before installing drop pitman arm

Hey all,
My xj is in a very slow evolution to a slightly taller stance. I'm using a tera bb crown hd rear leafs and ZJ V8 springs as the base, and JK Rubicon takeoff shocks that I scored for 50 bones from some guy that worked at a local dealership. I'm replacing the trac bar, brake lines for now. Probably the lca's when I find a good deal. Only the tera shackles and new rear axle are installed at the moment. I'm hoping next that next week or the week after I'll be able to finish up with this part of the project once school is out for the semester.

So my question is: when is it recommended to to install a dropped pitman arm? Sorry if this seems dumb. I've put lifts on vehicles before that used 'em. But kind of an oversight on this guy.

I'ts never a good idea on a cherokee, just puts more stress on the steering box area of the unibody.on extremely tall lifts that stretch ome steering to it's limits. OTK steering is the is the answer.

Thanks! I'm sitting pretty low so I guess I don't need to worry about it. When I get to needing an over-the knuckle set-up my wife will probably be trying to put me in jeep rehab. She's already toying with the idea I swear.

You want to keep your draglink and trackbar parallel, and the same length. Why would you drop the frame end of the draglink if you're not dropping the frame end of the trackbar? Okay, or raising the axle end, same effect.

is there a cross-reference of pitman arms for Jeeps? I.E.: do any (YJ, ZJ, etc.) fit XJ? Or are they all different?

zj pitman arm is about 1" drop for us and is bolt on

sweet! thanks, stewie.

I like using a ZJ pitman arm, which is a 3/4-1" drop. I think it lets the drag link line up better with the track bar than the stock pitman arm does. Plus, that 1" allows 1" more droop before binding the joint which never hurts. But, it's not neccessary on a modrate lift.

thanks. I'm well beyond moderate lift, unfortunately. I'm needing to go OTK very soon, but I need a fix for the interim.

Back