• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

kick down problem

poomero

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 90 xj with a 4.0 in it and i cant get it to kick down when i go to pass someone. does anyone have an idea of what this can be and how i can fix it my self. this is my first jeep and i dont know much about them.

The automatic transmission kickdown cable may need minor adjustment for proper operation.

Early model JEEPS have a clip on the transmission cable sleeve were it snaps onto the bracket. Pull the clip up with a small Flathead screwdriver, feed the slack in the cable into the sleeve and push the clip back down to lock the adjustment in place.

Late model JEEPS have a half round push button cable lock. Push the half round button located on the back of the bracket near the throttle body and push some of the cable into the sleeve. From the drivers seat, with the engine OFF, push the gas pedal all the way to the floor.

You may have to adjust the automatic transmission cable a couple of times for correct transmission operation

Back