• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

i made some stock height XJ quick disconnects.

MaxxXJ

NAXJA Forum User
i found the site on here the other day and this is the first day i've gotten to actually make the build, it cost me a total of $9.80 and a few hours of my time because of the stupid pressed in bolt on the axle that i ground flush and pulled out by taking off the nut, putting a bigger nut to take up thread room, then bolted it back on till it sucked it thru, either way, it came out good and im very very happy with the outcome, my energy suspension bushings were virtually free cuz i accumulated a 20 dollar's off thing from my vatozone reward card.
my quick disco's :gee:
PIC-0318.jpg

the link i got the idea from., im happy with the expected RTI score too... =)
http://jeep.off-road.com/jeep/article/articleDetail.jsp?id=257851

oh ya, PS, my baby got her first tire rub expierence today... she finally popped her cherry =D, the sway bars wouldnt allow my 235/75/15's to rub before

I used hitch pins, may be worth considering. I started off with something like that but it was a pain to pull the lower bolt. The idea worked great for years. I eventually moved to the ones with a removable center because I kept beating the springs and mounts with the bar links after I discoed.

I used hitch pins, may be worth considering. I started off with something like that but it was a pain to pull the lower bolt. The idea worked great for years. I eventually moved to the ones with a removable center because I kept beating the springs and mounts with the bar links after I discoed.

thats why i gotta wing nut up top to remove the whole thing in less than id say 4 minutes for both...

thats why i gotta wing nut up top to remove the whole thing in less than id say 4 minutes for both...

I had a set of Tompken Machine dissconnects years back. Same design as Joe's ( Infact he gives them credit). They work very well, and are a breeze to put on and take off regardless of how level the ground is.

Good for you for taking Joe's article and making a set of your own!

no swaybars=better yet

Offroad, the antiroll bars tend to limit articulation and can cause trouble in off-camber terrain.

On-road, they're a good idea. The antiroll bars help to keep all of the tyres on the ground, which enhances vehicle control.

I could see pulling them on a dedicated trail rig that gets trailered to and from the trailhead, but you want to at least leave the front antiroll bar in place if you drive it on the street (probably even if you flat tow it on the street - keeping all four tyres on the ground under tow can help with "panic" maneouvers...)

As I was recently told myself - "Be careful with your generalisations."

i found the site on here the other day and this is the first day i've gotten to actually make the build, it cost me a total of $9.80 and a few hours of my time because of the stupid pressed in bolt on the axle that i ground flush and pulled out by taking off the nut, putting a bigger nut to take up thread room, then bolted it back on till it sucked it thru, either way, it came out good and im very very happy with the outcome, my energy suspension bushings were virtually free cuz i accumulated a 20 dollar's off thing from my vatozone reward card.
my quick disco's :gee:
PIC-0318.jpg

the link i got the idea from., im happy with the expected RTI score too... =)
http://jeep.off-road.com/jeep/article/articleDetail.jsp?id=257851

oh ya, PS, my baby got her first tire rub expierence today... she finally popped her cherry =D, the sway bars wouldnt allow my 235/75/15's to rub before

Interesting idea - but how to you handle the idea of a wing nut up top, and it being potentially difficult to achieve the recommended preload on the bushings? You can only tighten a wing nut so far bare-handed, or are you using pliers or somesuch? Just curious...

Apart from that, it seems a good idea! I've been kicking around a "removable centre" idea myself, coupled with a bracket near the top end so that the antiroll bar can be tucked up out of the way when it's not being used (thus saving the problem of it interfering with other bits.) Haven't gotten far past the "idea" stage as yet tho - too many other things getting in the way...

You're better off without the front one OR the rear one HAHA - you guys are so easy to get wound up!
Quick discos are silly anyway...just bring your cordless impact along and buzz the whole swaybar setup off. Or if you dont have one take it off before you leave to go wheeling for the day and then put it back on later.

Interesting idea - but how to you handle the idea of a wing nut up top, and it being potentially difficult to achieve the recommended preload on the bushings? You can only tighten a wing nut so far bare-handed, or are you using pliers or somesuch? Just curious...

Apart from that, it seems a good idea! I've been kicking around a "removable centre" idea myself, coupled with a bracket near the top end so that the antiroll bar can be tucked up out of the way when it's not being used (thus saving the problem of it interfering with other bits.) Haven't gotten far past the "idea" stage as yet tho - too many other things getting in the way...

wasnt aware there was a set preload for them =/ lol i just wrenched em down until i couldnt go no more... i figure im good for at least 50 lbs or so... i think torque specs are 50-71?

i could go back to a regular nut and wrench em down... but im not going to get a torque wrench out every time i remove them, as long as it decreases the crazy sway, im happy yanno?

wasnt aware there was a set preload for them =/ lol i just wrenched em down until i couldnt go no more... i figure im good for at least 50 lbs or so... i think torque specs are 50-71?

i could go back to a regular nut and wrench em down... but im not going to get a torque wrench out every time i remove them, as long as it decreases the crazy sway, im happy yanno?

I'm not too sure that preload on the bushing is all that necessary. It's not like the horizontal bushing in a JKS disconnect is preloaded. I don't have the FSM in front of me, but I'd be curious to see what the torque specs are for the OEM soft rubber bushing (that is typically cracked and falling apart). With a hard poly bushing like that, finger-tight should be adequate. I'd be more concerned about loosing the wingnut.

I ran my own disconnects with wing nuts at the top for years, and I used a hitch pin at the bottom. Worked just fine. When I lifted it more, I just cut the stock link and welded in a piece to make them longer.

no swaybars=better yet

You're better off without the front one OR the rear one HAHA - you guys are so easy to get wound up!
Quick discos are silly anyway...just bring your cordless impact along and buzz the whole swaybar setup off. Or if you dont have one take it off before you leave to go wheeling for the day and then put it back on later.

I'm trying to figure out what's dumber.......the first comment or the second. :looser:

Are you done yet? :conceited

I'm not too sure that preload on the bushing is all that necessary. It's not like the horizontal bushing in a JKS disconnect is preloaded. I don't have the FSM in front of me, but I'd be curious to see what the torque specs are for the OEM soft rubber bushing (that is typically cracked and falling apart). With a hard poly bushing like that, finger-tight should be adequate. I'd be more concerned about loosing the wingnut.

It's nowhere near as critical as it is for, say, bearings - but it is a bit important.

Chew on it for a second: if the nut and washers are too loose, the bushing will get pounded out due to the freeplay left over (or that will develop.) Too tight, and the bushing will get pounded out because all of the "rebound" has been tightened out of it.

There's a fair amount of latitude on bushing preload - but it is a bit important. I'd think that having the thing too tight would be worse than too loose (since it won't have the "rebound" avaialble to it that it would and should,) but you'll want to be able to clamp it down fairly tight - use a wing nut with larger wings, perhaps?

Apart from that, it's a sound idea and has a good deal of merit! And done well, and cheaply. The essence of Jeep mods...

no swaybars=better yet

dude, you are so tard-o-riffic:twak:!

Back