• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Thumping noise from tranny hump?

pajeepman

NAXJA Forum User
I just picked up a 2000 XJ with a 4.0/aw4/231. Sometimes when idling in drive, I hear a thumping noise and I can feel it if I put my hand on the tranny hump next to the t-case shifter. A little throttle and it goes away, doesn't do it in park (or reverse that I have noticed). Any clue what it could be, t-case chain slop. P/O said it had made that noise fro a long time.

transfercase linkage bushing could be shot or the exhaust is hitting the crossmember.

how about crawling under and looking?

how about crawling under and looking?
Tried that, I didn't see anything. It doesn't really sound like a metal to metal noise though, maybe the sound deadening is making it sound different. I haven't had anybody around yet who could sit in it with it in drive while I am under it(with the e-brake on and the wheels choked - be strapped to my truck also).

does the noise go away when you put pressure on the transfercase shift lever

i also work in radnor if you want to drive over and i can look under while your in the seat, if the rain ever stops.

I can have my GF do it, just haven't had time yet. Thanks for the offer. I haven't tried puttting pressure on the T-t-case lever, I have shifted it in and out of the gears but noise is still around.

could be the tc linkage or the trans mount. both are easy fix's

does the noise go away when you put pressure on the transfercase shift lever

The noise does go away when I put pressure on the t-case shift lever. Do you think it is bushings or needs an adjustment?

Any idea where there is a drawing/picture breakdown of the t-case and shifter linkage online?

I did, I was hoping for an exploded "drawing" like 4WDH and q-tec have in their catalogs for stock replacement parts.

I had that noise, exhaust hanger in front of the cross member was broken. Exhaust was hitting the cross member. Some thing to check. Or the linkage to the t case.

Back