• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

better up my Xj cooling - temperatures to high!

Navi-GER

NAXJA Forum User
Hi All,
maybe somebode could help me and give me any tips to better up my cooling system in my XJ

at first i have an 1992th XJ 4.0 HO. Last weekend we rock around with the xj so i see the temperature is going up to 248 F° (120 C°) normaly it's around 208 ~ 209 F°

four weeks ago i installed a new thermostat with 180 degree all things work fine.

I thinking about to change the stock cooler with two new hi performance Fan's...

any ideas?

regards
Uli

Hallo. I had the same a few years ago with my '92.
Placing a new radiator was the trick. It is also possible too flush the rad first, to see of the problem is solved.
Secondly, is the electric aux fan going on? and is the clutch of the mechanic fan working?
If that is all ok, you can think about hoodvents and double electric fans.
How do you know the real temp? Don't believe the gauge. check it first.
My tempsender is renewed, after checking the tempgauge. You can test it very easily with resistors. :cool:

'92 XJ

Last edited:
hi,
thanks for your answer. Hood vents are allready installed :rof:
now i check the electrical Fan again, maybe i buy a new radiator and flush the complete cooling system and refill it with brand new fluid.

regards

I got a nice 3 row from radiator barn. I can sit in traffic in FL in the summer and it doesn't overheat with the A/C on. Worth a try. I also added 'Water Wetter' to the coolant when I refilled. Pretty sure I did the rad lines and the 180 deg thermostat at the same time. Only thing left for me is the stock water pump (no point in changing it til it goes). No hood vents.

The first thing to do is replace the radiator, unless it's already been replaced. How many miles on the XJ?

HI,
at the moment i have 139808.48 Miles on the gauge. I thing its the first Radiator at the XJ. here any moore information from my XJ

its a 92th XJ 4.0 HO with a ARB Bumper on the front in this is a Warn 8274 installed. The waterpump and all other engineparts are stock. As tires are Silverstone 33x10,5x15 on stock wheels.

so i think i renew the Radiator as next and clean the cooling system and refill it with new fluid... i hope it runs better after this job..
i will report my findings asap

thanks to all

my 89 ran very hot(just below the red) in stop and go traffic until i replaced the stock radiator. this was back in the early 90's and i have never had an overheating problem because of flow again. ive had to replace the raditor a few times becuase it started to leak, but i never had a problem with flow after i replaced the stock radiator. mine is also a non ac xj, so it doesnt have an electric fan, so the clutch fan and radiator flow are very important to keep the temps down.

HI,
at the moment i have 139808.48 Miles on the gauge. I thing its the first Radiator at the XJ. here any moore information from my XJ

so i think i renew the Radiator as next and clean the cooling system and refill it with new fluid... i hope it runs better after this job..
i will report my findings asap

thanks to all

Yep, the radiator needs to be replaced, they all do. Lucky you got to 139k with the original.

That bumper and Warn 8274 restrict your airflow through the radiator.

First, if you haven't cleaned and flushed the system recently, then do it.

Second, increase your airflow through the radiator. Put a dash command switch on your aux fan. You could upgrade your aux fan. Check your fan clutch, replace or upgrade it.

Replacing the radiator, high flow thermostat/housing/water pump and water wetter are other options.

And while cleaning/flushing the cooling system don't forget the heater core. Gently flush it alternating the direction back and forth, and don't use a lot of pressure unless you like wet carpeting.

Adding in a lower temp thermostat isn't going to reduce the tempature of your engine unless your cooling system is already at the current thermostats temp.

So if you have a 210 thermostat you should be at 210, if you add in a 195 you might go down to 195.

If you are at 240 and go from a 210 to a 194 thermostat nothing will change. The original thermostat was already full open.

That bumper and Warn 8274 restrict your airflow through the radiator.

First, if you haven't cleaned and flushed the system recently, then do it.

Second, increase your airflow through the radiator. Put a dash command switch on your aux fan. You could upgrade your aux fan. Check your fan clutch, replace or upgrade it.

Replacing the radiator, high flow thermostat/housing/water pump and water wetter are other options.

And while cleaning/flushing the cooling system don't forget the heater core. Gently flush it alternating the direction back and forth, and don't use a lot of pressure unless you like wet carpeting.

Nice thoughts, but not all are applicable. We've proven that a winch in front of the grill will have no effect on cooling. Mine and many others have been that way for years.

With 139k on the original radiator, it needs to be replaced because the tubes are plugged and restricted. No sense paying to have it rodded out since then the plastic tanks will go bad and radiators aren't that expensive, plus you get a much better aftermarket radiator. Once the new radiator is in, the rest of the stuff isn't necessary since it will cool better than original with the new radiator.

The system does need to get flushed while the new radiator is going in, or the crud will start to plug up the new radiator. As long as the parts in the system are working, it will cool as it should. Some guys spend needless time and money upgrading things when simply changing the radiator would solve all the problems.

Nice thoughts, but not all are applicable. We've proven that a winch in front of the grill will have no effect on cooling. Mine and many others have been that way for years.

Send me copies of your research, I am truly fascinated.

This will solve your problems for good:

95-jeep-cherokee-radiator.jpg

Order from here: http://www.rondavisradiators.com/radgallery.htm

im having same issues i think im going to replace my rad before this summer got a 93 with 126k on it

Well I dont' have a winch, since I'm never off work to take the jeep off road I see no point. Ryan...relacing the rad is a great choice, as already stated here. Just make sure you take care of the cooling system when you do the work and it should be ok.

Send me copies of your research, I am truly fascinated.

Joe, I'm not trying to be a wise guy. We've had this discussion before and have had no evidence that anyone with a winch in front of the radiator has any less cooling than those without. Mine's been that way for a long time, over 10 years, and I live where it's 100* plus in the summer in a valley, so everywhere I go on a trip is uphill. Plus, I have a stroker. Nothing special about my cooling system except the later model aux fan, and it never gets close to being hot.

Do you have research that it does? :)

ok guys,
call me an idiot :doh:- i solve my high temperatur issue.

its very simply. if you have a working session on your xj you should be sure that you have reconnected ALL connectors, Clips and Jacks and so on INCLUDING the connector for the electrical fan. oh my god

but many thanks to all the people here - i renew my radiator asap it looks realy bad. i found a good Radiator with a high flow waterpump at Hesco.us - these guys ship to germany ...

regards

Guten Abend Herr. Es ist gut, jemanden von Deutschland zu sehen, das auf unserer Website dahineilt. Ich war in der Armee in Deutschland seit 3 Jahren. Ich wurde am Fliegerhorst Flugplatz nahe Hanau aufgestellt. Ich bin froh, dass Sie Ihr Problem befestigten. Besuchen Sie wirklich hier häufig.

Hi Jeeperjohn,
yes i'm daily here and reading - sometimes i find good ideas to better up my XJ. Hanau is a intresting town. between witch Time you stay in Hanau?

regads
Uli

Back