• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

rubicon d44 gears in xj d44

dogsled1

NAXJA Forum User
Anybody know if a 4.10 d44 Rubicon rear ring gear and pinion will work in an XJ d44? Can pick one up cheap, but need to know if I can use it or not.

IIRC, it will work but u would need a carrier that works with 3.55s and down,this is because of "thick gear" set from the factory.

I think the carrier break in the 44 is at 3.73, but that would save me from buying a carrier, I have both a trac-loc and an open carrier for 3.73 and below.

I used Rubicon 4.88's in my xj 44 with trac loc. I had to drill out the ring gear bolt holes on the carrier to a bigger size. trac locs are a hell of a lot better than being open, I asked for the aggressive clutches when I did mine.

Last edited:
I used Rubicon 4.88's in my xj 44 with trac loc. I had to drill out the ring gear bolt holes on the carrier to a bigger size. trac locs are a hell of a lot better than being open, I asked for the aggressive clutches when I did mine.
But still not nearly as good as a locker.

As long as it is NOT a JK Rubicon. The JK uses a totally diffferent Dana 44.

Glad someone said that. JK D44s are different.

Glad someone said that. JK D44s are different.

i heard somewhere that dana wanted to call it the Dana 47, but DC wanted to keep it as a 44 for brand recognition

Back