• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Body Work. Getting off a stuck door.

ers81239

NAXJA Forum User
I've been getting in and out of my 92 XJ through the passenger for over a month now. I've searched and tried everything. I can't tell if the door is locked, but nothing has gotten it to open yet. I'm to the point where I am thinking about 2 things:

1. 'saving' the door by cutting an access hole around the actual mechanism so that I can try to get it to release.

2. Letting the local firefirefighters practice with the jaws of life and take the door off that way. Then hopefully locating a door to replace it at the salvage lot.

3. Trying to pull or pry on the door somehow.

Any care to offer any suggestions? I figure I will look at the passenger side for guidance on where to cut the access hole.

So far I have done some light prying. I've removed the door panel and pushed and pulled on all of the linkages. I've tried the handles, the inside lock lever, and the key. I've also gone to town with pliers and screwdrivers and wd-40 trying to move the various parts of the mechanism inside the door. Nothing seems to help.

Thanks,

Edward

#2 is a VERY BAD IDEA. If a tool touches it and the insurance finds out they'll total the Jeep. Also for the tool to work it displaces the vehilce until the hinges or nader pin (latch) pops. If you are set to replace it at a yard I'd just pound the crap out of it with a BFH from the inside to pop the latch or use a dent puller to remove the lock cylinder. Or ask a locksmith to try to pop it.

take the door panel off from the inside. You'll have access to the rods that activate the mechanism.

ers81239 said:
So far I have done some light prying. I've removed the door panel and pushed and pulled on all of the linkages. I've tried the handles, the inside lock lever, and the key. I've also gone to town with pliers and screwdrivers and wd-40 trying to move the various parts of the mechanism inside the door. Nothing seems to help.
Edward

sounds like he already removed the inner panel.

Hit your local body shop at 3pm on friday with a case of good beer and ask how to do it. They will most likely just do it for you. They have tons of experience dealing with this kind of thing.

Otherwise, you can sacrifice the door and simply use a sawzall to open it up.

Thanks for the input guys. The trim panel is definitely off, and the rods seem ineffective. I'm conviced that either the locksmith or bodyshop is best. I just don't want to go pay some bubba's $100 if I don't need to. Since I've just moved, I don't know any shops around here. I guess a locksmith wouldn't charge me if he can't get it open (providing I go to him). So if he can't do it, mosey on down to the body shop.

Edward

FIXED!!Re: Body Work. Getting off a stuck door.

Ok, this solution wasn't for the faint of heart. Only for the desperate.

After trying EVERYTHING else. I simply drilled through the door towards the top of of the latch mechanism.

Using the passenger door, I estimated where the top of the striker post would be and drilled toward the area about a 1/4 inch above that. I hoped to break the C-shaped white plastic part of the latch. I didn't actually have to drill through that part because the door just unlatched as I drilled in.

Now I have removed the latch, verified that it is not repairable and will put in a new one.

Back