• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

O2 Disaster...

DanMan2k06

NAXJA Forum User
So I just finished replacing my exhaust, from the downpipe back. New cat, new midpipe, new muffler, and new tailpipe. Magnaflow and Dynomax.

But, it wasn't until earlier that I realized something was missing...
After putting it all together I found that I no longer had a downstream o2 sensor. I thought I might have tucked it out of the way when installing the new system, but that wasn't the case. Somehow I got a new cat without the o2 bung as well so it probably just slipped my mind when I was putting everything together.

Well turns out, I had loosened up the o2 sensor a couple weeks prior to the instsallation. Not removed, but just made sure it wasn't rusted in tight and would cause a dilema later on. I guess it was loose enough to vibrate completely free, dangling under the car. Which happens to be AWFULLY close to the driveshaft. The sensor and wiring wrapped around the shaft, and ripped completely off. All the way back, past the transfer case.

So my question is: Do I completely fix the whole sysyem? Strip wires, lengthen, splice, drill and weld a bung, and re-connect a sensor? OR, do I buy one of the sensor delete's that the ricers use when they put on their new systems that overrides the CEL?

The after cat O2 sensor will do nothing for your gas mileage. It just reports back to the computer if the cat is working or not. Basically a dummy light/nanny. Its up to you what you want to do. You have a working cat, so no harm in removing the sensor. It also depends on your state's emission laws.

Larry (Dirt n Rox) had the same issue, zip tied the O2 sensor out of the way, and a year later the check engine light still has never come on. Go Figure.

Hahaha at least I'm not the only one. I pulled some new wiring from a scrap right at the local yard. If it doesn't want to crimp well, I'm just going to overrode it.

Yes, but it runs along the tranny which cycles through temperature ranges all the time. Over time that will weaken the solder and let it crack/break/become brittle. I try to use quality crimps around the engine or outside the car, and solder inside. If the situation calls I may do both. These wires are so little though solder might be the only option :(

Back