• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Hp 30 into stock 2000XJ?

taberxj

NAXJA Forum User
I am not ready to lift, but I need brakes, hubs, and balljoints on my current lp 30. I picked up an HP 30 in good condition and I need to know if it will bolt into a stock 2000XJ? It looks like the driveshaft may hit the exhaust. If anyone has done this please let me know how it turned out.

Thanks

you may need to get an hp30 front driveshaft if yours is too compressed when you install the axle, but yes it should bolt in.

I don't see any reason why it wouldn't

I put a HP30 into my 01 with no problems. I did use the driveshaft from a HP30 XJ, but I think the LP shaft would work. Try it out, and if all else fails pick up a HP driveshaft.

I am lifted 5" though.

Thanks for the replies. It is going to be lifted about 5 inches by the end of the summer but it is stock now. My concern is where the exhaust runs across the oilpan. At stock height I am worried about the pinion yoke hitting this exhaust pipe. I can leave the front shaft out for a short time, but my balljoints and brakes need replacing now. So I would rather spend the money on the parts for the hp 30 and put them on once. I know if I fix the lp30 now, I can switch the hubs, knuckes and rotors to the hp 30 , but I would rather not if the HP would fit now. Has anyone put a HP30 in a stock 2000xj?

lots of people have put the HP30 in a 2000 and 2001 xj. like was said before, it is bolt in. if you are worried about the DS hitting, then leave it out. there is nothing wrong with driving without the front DS. so do the swap, and finish it out later when you lift

If you haven't lifted your rig yet, you may want to make sure you won't have interference problems with the axle and the exhaust header. There was a change in the 2000 model year in the design of the exhaust header, which is why Jeep went to the low pinion axle. If you are concerned about this, you can always add bumpstops for the time being to keep the axle from banging into the header, before you install your lift.

On the 1999 and lower (which has the high pinion) there's a clearance dimple/crimp in the exhaust header in stock XJ's.

However, once you throw a lift on your 2000, you shouldn't have any clearance issuese with your stock header and a HP D30....

The additon of bumpstops sounds like the perfect solution for the time being. How much higher is the pinion on the HP vs the LP? Thanks for the suggestion!

Back