• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Help. Fuel gauge reads opposite of whats in the tank

chicoxj

NAXJA Forum User
i recently bought a 91 xj. the fuel gauge didnt work so yesterday i dropped the tank and pulled the pump. i tested the sender and the ohms are right where it should be. so i redid the ground wire and the gauge now works. the only thing is that it reads opposite what it should. Empty when full and full when empty. i dont get it. any help/suggestions would be awesome.

i recently bought a 91 xj. the fuel gauge didnt work so yesterday i dropped the tank and pulled the pump. i tested the sender and the ohms are right where it should be. so i redid the ground wire and the gauge now works. the only thing is that it reads opposite what it should. Empty when full and full when empty. i dont get it. any help/suggestions would be awesome.

Did the POT on the end of the float arm get switched around somehow?

Sorry, that's all I can think of right now...

Sounds like either the sender or the gauge is not original. Somewhere along the line they switched the polarity, and if it is from the wrong year, it will read backwards. I think it was with the renix to HO switch (91). If someone knows the ohm specs please chime in. If that's not it, maybe somehow you have managed to change the polarity?

Flip it upside down :looney:

The fuel gages work on simple resistance. As wagonman said, somewhere along the line, they switched from high resistance = low gas to low resistance = low gas. Doesn't seem like it could be from anything hooked up backwards, unless it was in the fuel pump construction mechanically.

thanks for the help. i got a new sender from the pick and pull and it does thesame thing so i said screw it and put it in anyway. i could live with it reading backwards. but now the guage doesnt work in the tank its stuck on full. pulled it back out and it worked outside the tank. now im really confused. any suggestions?

thanks for the help. i got a new sender from the pick and pull and it does thesame thing so i said screw it and put it in anyway. i could live with it reading backwards. but now the guage doesnt work in the tank its stuck on full. pulled it back out and it worked outside the tank. now im really confused. any suggestions?

Did you compare the float position to the actual position on the sensor? Does the float actually float?

Back