• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What Did I Do Right? Fuel Pump Issue

NWPhotog

NAXJA Forum User
Accidentally ran my gas tank dry. Add two gals and would crank but no start or even pop. Removed and replaced relay (Looked good?). still no go. Towed it home. No fuel pressure on fuel rail. checked connections on tank. They looked good. Pulled fuel line off of fuel rail. Heard relay pop while I was reinserting fuel line. Had plenty pressure immediately. I would guess pump is fine. Is it possible I had a ground issue or an air bubble of some kind? CPS issue? This is killing me. I drive this vehicle up to 200 miles from home. I would hate to get stranded. Any ideas? Thanks!

well the fuel in the tank also helps keep the fuel pump cool maybe it overheated and shutdown and after it cooled it started working never heard of that but you never no your best bet is to replace the fuel filter the pump probably sucked up some crap when you ran it to low

OK, I could do that but tank had been run dry before maybe 6 months or a year ago and the filter was replaced a month ago. Thanks for your reply!

You didn't specify the year. Some with pressure regulator at the rail, some with fuel dampner.

If you are sure it was the relay "poping" I would be tempted to check there for possible corrosion in the contacts of all the relays.

As posted earlier, not a good idea running in-the-tank fuel pump vehicles dry--the fuel actually lubricates and cools the pump. Also, running low/dry sucks all the crud in the tank to the sock, restricting flow or cutting the fuel supply.

Yeah, I know--nag, nag, nag.

You didn't specify the year. Some with pressure regulator at the rail, some with fuel dampner.

If you are sure it was the relay "poping" I would be tempted to check there for possible corrosion in the contacts of all the relays.

As posted earlier, not a good idea running in-the-tank fuel pump vehicles dry--the fuel actually lubricates and cools the pump. Also, running low/dry sucks all the crud in the tank to the sock, restricting flow or cutting the fuel supply.

Yeah, I know--nag, nag, nag.

Didn't run it empty on purpose. Stuff happens.

Darn sure it was the relay but already checked it. Clean as a whistle.

Guess I should buy or scrounge a relay as back up just in case.

I just don't get why the relay would switch on all of a sudden.

they will stick, just another electro-mechanical device.

OK. Picked up a 91 Comanche 4wd 4.0 AW4 over the week end. Wife thinks 3 Jeeps is too many so may need to sell this one.

Sell the wife, she obviously isn't on board with the program.

Back