• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear-Ended, unibody tweaked.

rysam

NAXJA Forum User
My mother in law was just rear-ended in my jeep and the unibody is bent just in front of the shackle where the hitch ends. the guy hit the hitch at about 30 mph. the doors on the passenger side are sticky and dont close quite right. It doesnt look too bad from a few feet away but it definitely is tweaked. I was able to limp it home but it made a ton of nice noises. Does anyone have any idea if it can be repaired or is it done for because the unibody is tweaked?

it depends on whether your insurance will pay to fix it. some say that it can be fixed and some will say that once its tweaked, it will never be the same.

if the doors arnt opening proporly and its making noises, its tweaked more than just at the end of the frame rails near the hitch.

only way to tell how much its tweaked is to have put on a rack.

Just for a FYI
From the Allstate adjuster: ALL unibody damage is a complete total, it doesnt matter where on the rig.
Now i have a clean 1992 yard ornament that i get to buy again..

Just for a FYI
From the Allstate adjuster: ALL unibody damage is a complete total, it doesnt matter where on the rig.
Now i have a clean 1992 yard ornament that i get to buy again..

Gonna rebuild it, or just yank the parts and put them on another XJ?

I really want to make a trail rig out of it, but life says at this point i really need a DD. Im looking for a clean 91-96,running or not, to swap my stuff on to. Its kinda hard without a check in hand and im sure the amount of the check will leave me short.

the moral of the story is, dont let ANYONE drive your rig.

I really want to make a trail rig out of it, but life says at this point i really need a DD. Im looking for a clean 91-96,running or not, to swap my stuff on to. Its kinda hard without a check in hand and im sure the amount of the check will leave me short.

the moral of the story is, dont let ANYONE drive your rig.

Atleast around here I see 90+ XJ starting at $600 (usually needs work) and up. I surfed my local Craigs List for weeks before I bought mine.

In your case, you *could* buy something needs some minor work and swap some parts. If you have storage, store your current XJ as a project while your drive your new XJ.

yeah thats the basic plan, buy and replace. I have a couple acres that are available so it wont be a huge issue to store it. I really am trying to avoid the graveyard look though, I already have a couple projects stashed out there.
600$ is about the starting point here too, I do know of a few broken gems in hiding but the owners wont sell them to me without a bit of financial lubrication. the best is a spotless,hasnt moved in 3 yrs, stored in a warehouse, 91 sport with a bad head, the owner thinks she's gonna fix it. yeah uh huh, she just bought a new toyota avalon. So Im gonna hit her up with some crisp 100's and some begging, that may make it mine easier.
I'll post up some pics of the damage now that the rain stopped, as soon as i get back from school.

My ride is running late...so heres a few.
2n84tjs.jpg

20itl4i.jpg

29xhpuf.jpg

If the registration is up soon (or maybe if it was reported as "smoking"?) you could always let it "fail" smog. Pull all the good parts off and sell it to the state for $1000-. You might not want it to be wrecked though.
http://DriveHealthy.com We got our $1000- for a 1977 Caprice with bald tires, slipping trans and too many miles. Must have been the bad plugs that made it a "gross polluter". :shhh:

insurance just came back with the #'s...its a sad day.

1370$ and i get to keep my rig.

You oughta be able to find another decent rig for a DD!

have no fear, im looking as hard as i can. Its a bit difficult with no spare cash yet. the bastard hadnt even turned in his claim. i did it for him.
I talked to the lady with the nice jeep and left laughing, she wants 3 grand for it with NO MOTOR and 5 when they get it running. hahahahaha no.

If you can document a higher value for your XJ than what the insurance company is offering, then don't accept the settlement from the insurance company and sue the other driver in small claims court.

You have a right to do that, just make sure you can document all parts and labor for add on/improvements.

When the other driver is served you will get a call from his insurance company with a better offer. If the second offer isn't good enough, and you feel you have enough documentation, go ahead with the action.

and some people wonder why California is bankrupt......

No joke! I often wonder why Kentucky isn't broke sometimes. My old roommate has family down there that, brace yourself, get disability for being ILLITERATE. It is harder for me to get disability with Muscular Dystrophy!

Originally Posted by PhotographerMike
We got our $1000- for a 1977 Caprice with bald tires, slipping trans and too many miles. Must have been the bad plugs that made it a "gross polluter".
and some people wonder why California is bankrupt......
Actually the money doesn't come out of the state budget. Corporations can "buy" the right to pollute by "removing" other pollution. Say ARCO wants to build a new refinery, they are required to offset anything they add. They pay $$, it goes into a pool to buy cars like ours, I get an above market price, the J.Y. gets a car and big business gets bigger.

Back