• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

full hydro steering

2.5 turns lock to lock... I hope it doesn't see high speed. Very touchy

full hydro=NoNo for a daily driver...

full hydro=NoNo for a daily driver...

Based on??

Though all he did was post a link to another forum. No comments on how he uses the rig. I bet 2.5 turns lock to lock and no return to center (meaning not load reactive) would not be fun at speed. For a trail only rig it works, plenty of guys have built them that way, but load reactive is much better and that's how most build them now. This rig looks full bodied so it must see street driving, if nothing more than to drive to the trails.

Simple. Glad he likes it.

my full hydro is non load reactive 2.5 turns lock to lock. I've run it at high speed and it wasn't too bad. It is a little touchy for driving down the freeway though. With the smaller ram it was 1.5 turns, that was way to fast.

I personally like the non load reactive but will eventually go with a double ended steering ram. The unbalanced steering from a single ended ram takes a little getting used to and it is easy over correct, under correct, back and forth when coming out of a corner.

my full hydro is non load reactive 2.5 turns lock to lock. I've run it at high speed and it wasn't too bad. It is a little touchy for driving down the freeway though. With the smaller ram it was 1.5 turns, that was way to fast.

I personally like the non load reactive but will eventually go with a double ended steering ram. The unbalanced steering from a single ended ram takes a little getting used to and it is easy over correct, under correct, back and forth when coming out of a corner.

Did you actually read what you wrote? :)

BTW, what you described there coming out of a corner is from the non-load reactive control valve and not the single ended ram........not having a natural feel for center.

I did read what I wrote, but probably wasn't clear.

2.5 turns lock to lock is probably too fast for street rig but isn't uncontrollable at high speeds if you are going from trail to trail.

The problem coming out of a corner IS the single ended ram. But probably not in the way you think. The return to center feel has been gone on my rig for a long time, even before going to full hydro. I usually drive with one hand at 12 o-clock. If I return to 12 leaving a corner I will either be over or under steering depending. I'm running zero caster to put the front drive line at a better angle. I know its wrong but haven't got around to rotating the knuckles.

Even with a load reactive box unless I fix that problem it really won't do much good. Except brake thumbs when the tires gets bound up in some rocks and spins the steering wheel.

OK, so you have really crappy and dangerous steering.....and you evidently like it. And you have no feel of center because of zero castor. You'd still have no feel of center if you had 5* of castor because of the non-load reactive orbital valve.

BTW, everyone I wheel with that has full hydro has load reactive steering, and you don't get your thumbs ripped off. You still have the power of hydro steering, you just also have a feel of what's going on. Most consider that a good thing. :)

Based on??

Though all he did was post a link to another forum. No comments on how he uses the rig. I bet 2.5 turns lock to lock and no return to center (meaning not load reactive) would not be fun at speed. For a trail only rig it works, plenty of guys have built them that way, but load reactive is much better and that's how most build them now. This rig looks full bodied so it must see street driving, if nothing more than to drive to the trails.

Simple. Glad he likes it.
Ive heard rumors that full hydro is illegal for on the road driving. Are you saying its legal?

Ive also heard beadlocks are illegal as well, and doors cause your unibody to crack in half, so who knows if what I heard was right.

OK, so you have really crappy and dangerous steering.....and you evidently like it. And you have no feel of center because of zero castor. You'd still have no feel of center if you had 5* of castor because of the non-load reactive orbital valve.

BTW, everyone I wheel with that has full hydro has load reactive steering, and you don't get your thumbs ripped off. You still have the power of hydro steering, you just also have a feel of what's going on. Most consider that a good thing. :)

Crappy and Dangerous eh? Well I guess everyone is entitled to their own opinion. Most everyone that I've wheeled with full hydro is using a single ended ram non load reactive setup, just like mine.

Thanks for explaining how steering geometry and the steering orbital works. I never would have guessed...:worship:

Oh, while turning you do get feedback even with a non-load reactive orbital and I have had the steering wheel spin in my hand when sliding off an obstacle while turning.

Crappy and Dangerous eh? Well I guess everyone is entitled to their own opinion. Most everyone that I've wheeled with full hydro is using a single ended ram non load reactive setup, just like mine.

My comment was based on your comment. I think it's pretty commonly understood that running 0* castor on a street driven rig is far from ideal, because of the wandering due to no feel of center. The non-load reactive orbital just adds the same characteristic. On a trail only rig, who cares, it's up to the preference of the driver/owner. But don't describe what everyone already knows isn't a good idea and then try to justify it as being fine. You choose to put up with it, and that's your choice, but it's not good. These were your words, not mine.

I've run it at high speed and it wasn't too bad. It is a little touchy for driving down the freeway though..................and it is easy over correct, under correct, back and forth when coming out of a corner.

Ive heard rumors that full hydro is illegal for on the road driving. Are you saying its legal?

Ive also heard beadlocks are illegal as well, and doors cause your unibody to crack in half, so who knows if what I heard was right.

I don't know if it's legal or not, but it's an argument just like beadlocks.......no one has ever come up with any law saying either one was illegal. There are commercial vehicles driven on the street with full hydro steering, and there are race vehicles that show hydro steering can be precise enough for reasonable speed.

So.....? :dunno:

^yup

like the beadlock arguement, ive still yet to see any real law stating beadlocks were illegal, just myth

but whether its illegal or not, the design IMO is inherently too dangerous to be driven on a rig that is a DD. maybe something to the trail and back. but no matter how well its set up, and confident you are in it. 1 leak, or blown hose and you loose all steering.

Im going hydro assist for that reason. hydro assist is more then enough power, with the mechanical link of the drag link still there for safety

Back