• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

258 Rods for stroker

jimmydaux

NAXJA Forum User
Ive been looking at starting my stockpile of stroker parts. I remember being able to find reconditioned connecting rods on ebay that have been weight matched and such but cant find those anymore. Do any of you know a good source to get rods as a set for a decent price?

Would I be ok using ones out of an old engine that aren't "reconditioned?"

I got mine off of ebay because I lucked out and found them ready to go. You can get used rods out of a running motor and just shotpeen, and re-machine them. Then destress and heat treat or cryo treat them and be good to go.

they are a better choice but require a considerable amount of more machine work to get them to work

Dont I have to have custom pistons made to make the 4.0 rods work? I dont think ill have too hard a time sourcing 258 for the crank and rods. Is it better to just buy a reman crank from a local autoparts place, or have the 258 crank ground and balanced?

If I come accross a 258 somewhere, what are some things to look for that wont be corrected by normal rebuild machine work? If a rod spins a bearing, does that cause irreparable damage?

You don't need custom pistons for the 4.0L rod on the 258 crank. Keith Black makes forged pistons for this application. KB944 or KB945 depending on your desired compression.

As for the 258 rods, used will be fine.. shot peen them and polish them if you like. Installation of ARP rod bolts is also a good idea.

they are a better choice but require a considerable amount of more machine work to get them to work
huh?

Yeah the info from Dynos site has been there for a couple years, the new KB piston has been on the market for about 6mos it seems. Keep in mind if you get new ARP bolts youll need to get them reconditioned, as the process will make them slightly out of round.

Yeah the info from Dynos site has been there for a couple years, the new KB piston has been on the market for about 6mos it seems. Keep in mind if you get new ARP bolts youll need to get them reconditioned, as the process will make them slightly out of round.

Yeah, you can't just slap the ARP rod bolts in, you will also have to have the rods resized. Should run about $70 for the resize

Also, where are you getting your prices from? Some places have them listed as 8 pistons, and you can also get the kit which includes rings and pins.

Back