• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

brand new lift.... some issues... 00' XJ

miglia-spyder

NAXJA Forum User
Just lifted my 00' xj with an RC 4.5" and I have a couple vibrations. So i had it aligned yesterday. I drove it around all day just listening and feeling for vibrations... The noise/vibration i have now and had before was coming from the front drive shaft, because when i took it off the noise/vibration went away. Now the rear driveshaft is starting to vibrate quite a bit and make a loose sound when i let off the gas or brake. None of the U-joints were bad before (not that I could tell anyway), could they be bad now because of the different angles?
Oh by the way, My kit did come with a t-case drop, which i did install.
Should i just replace all the U-joints?
Why would the front drive shaft be binding? The pinion angle looks fine in the front...

Sorry for my stupidity guys... Im new to these straight axle vehicles, Im used to lowering sports cars and adjusting camber angles...

Last edited:
Do you have a Slip Yoke Eliminator on it? On 97+ XJ's it is a must for lifts over 3 inches and sometimes less!

I dont yet... Just the t-case drop.. Even with the sye the front drive shaft will still be at the same angle wont it? Its the front drive shaft that im most worried about, because it actually makes a bimding noise... and the rear just vibrates a little...

I need my front driveshaft!!! I want to get dirty!! haha

Front D/S vibrate sometimes. You can take it in and have it balanced by a D/S shop. In the rear you'll have to rotate the rear pinion up to make it point a degree or two less than straight at the T/C if you go with a SYE. This can be accomplished by cutting off and re-welding new leaf spring perches on your rear axle tube, but most people just use degree shims between the perches and leaf springs.

If you're at 4.5" you need a SYE. TC drop and what not is still going to lead to some vibes. I promise you'll save yourself a lot of time and thinking about how you can get rid of the vibes if you just go straight to the SYE.

If you're at 4.5" you need a SYE. TC drop and what not is still going to lead to some vibes. I promise you'll save yourself a lot of time and thinking about how you can get rid of the vibes if you just go straight to the SYE.

that's still not gonna help him with his front troubles. i'd say the u-joints are a more likely culprit than balance.

that's still not gonna help him with his front troubles. i'd say the u-joints are a more likely culprit than balance.

You're right...I kind of looked over that. :eyes:

It's been said but I would replace the u-joints and see if that fixes it. If not then take it to be balanced. I doubt it's "out of balance" unless a weight was knocked off but I thought they were tack welded on. The front driveshafts were balanced on all non-disco axles and I've never had one that was out of balance.

More than likely the increased angle is exposing a problem you already had pre-lift...bad u-joints. I hope that's what it is for you. There's really not much going on with the front D/S so should be a simple fix. GL!

If he installs the sye in the rear, allowing him to remove the TC drop, it will improve the angle of the front shaft. TC drops increase the front angle. Having a low pinion front diff doesn't help either.

I switched from one 3" lift to another 3" lift that had no sag and I got new drive line vibs.

SYE is the best mod I have ever done to this cherokee (2000 Freedom).

If he installs the sye in the rear, allowing him to remove the TC drop, it will improve the angle of the front shaft. TC drops increase the front angle. Having a low pinion front diff doesn't help either.
x2 on T/C drop effecting the front shaft angle. and the fact it's a low pinion. install the sye and i am willing to bet both problems go away. it's extremely rare for a D/S to be out of balance.

x3,Get the HD sye if you have a 231.Went thru this 8yrs ago on my 2k.Got front shaft binding at 4.5" of lift about 6yrs ago,now still running my LP D30 at 6" on the stock shaft and u-joints!

Back