• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Automatic Headlight Switch & Sensor?

xj92

NAXJA Forum User
My headlight switch is having issues and needs to be replaced. It's $30 for a normal replacement. Does anybody offer a unit with a sensor so that the headlights will automatically turn on when the vehicle is turned on and it is dark, like the newer cars do?

I could be wrong, but I don't think anyone manufactures something like that for an XJ.

You can't just turn the lights on yourself when you see its dark?

I can, and I have for years. But a major part of the reason a lot of us are on this site is because we can't leave well enough alone. Since I have to replace the switch anyways, why not upgrade if it's available? Just doing my research before I spend some money.

I'm sure you can wire a sensor in. It doesn't seem like it would change the normal headlight switch. I know it is different on the newer cars, but your going to have to adapt in something different. On my Crown Vic, it's all built into a complex "lightning control module". You don't want to mess with that. Just add a secondary system to the existant wiring. $20 for that ebay gizmo will be hard to beat.

i know late model s-10's have the sensor to turn on the light. may be able to get it out of an s-10 from a junk yard. the sensor is located on one of the grills for the dash speakers, i think the passenger side

This is interesting..... I'd like to hear how it works out.

I also wish I could figure out how get something like the comfort access in my BMW to work in the cherokee. I'm getting used to push button start and proximity sensors on the locks. I don't know how many times I push my finger on the dash when I get home thinking I'm going to hit the button and turn the Jeep off. I guess the nice car is spoiling me. I'm just too lazy to turn the key.

Just as an aside, the Nissan Altima's keyless ignition works without the key sometimes...I started it once drove somewhere, shut it down went in came back out and restarted it then realized I had left the key in the house!

Just as an aside, the Nissan Altima's keyless ignition works without the key sometimes...I started it once drove somewhere, shut it down went in came back out and restarted it then realized I had left the key in the house!

Kind of not good.

Back