• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

flares

vabeach01xj

NAXJA Forum User
okay i know this has probabl been posted quiet a few times but how do yall get the bushwacker flares to work on the 97-01 xj? im trying to figire out what to do plan on getting 4.5 lift and then tires depend on flares and fenders any help is much appreciated

The difference in 97 and up XJ's is that the bumper endcaps go along the lower edge on the sides of the vehicle and join in with the flares.

On the older body style XJ's the flares were independent of other trim and could just be swapped out with some cutting.

In order to fit Bushwackers on a 97 and up, you must remove the bumper endcaps, or custom trim them to work with the Bushwackers.

PS: I'm not a fan of TJ flares on XJ's. Usually, they look like poo...

Rustys just came out with the "Improved" version of there flares. Looks more like the stock ones. The early versions would not have any give to them and would break. I'm going to give them a try.

Beej said:
PS: I'm not a fan of TJ flares on XJ's. Usually, they look like poo...

Oh come on Beej, this dosn't look like poo, Does it?

XJ008.jpg

I have bushwhackers and while I am legal I hate them. I am appaled at how much they cost me, guys in my club have cracked them off, so mine will go one day... screws back out etc, etc, etc,

Next heep will get major trimming, smaller backspacing and stock flares relocated. Or tj flares like above. If I did do the tj flares I would take them to a plastic welder and have them modifed.

I like the TJ flares when done correctly. I think XJLaredo did a really good job and has a good looking rig. What about rear YJ flares on all four corners? That looks good done right also IMO.

Hey Beej,

have you seen it done with rear TJ flares on all four corners? Gets rid of the marker lights that, in my opinion, make it look like poo....

Starscream918 said:
Bulge flares would work, but they're more expensive then just trimming and adding some refitted flares. Plus if you want them to look good they have to be repainted to match your XJ, which isn't cheap if done right.

And doesn't do anything for the rear

Starscream918 said:
?

On their site it still says they're working on them.
I talked with Rusty on friday and said they have been working with different plastics to come up with the balance of strength and flexibility. He said he was happy with what they come up with. My problem is after cutting to clear my 38 TSL's the only way I can mount a flare on my junk is to cut it, and mount the second half on the door. Much like a Bushwacker. Unfortunately I think Bushwackers look like :puke:. Modifying a stock flare (which I think looks the best) would not give me the results im looking for. If you drive in a state like California you need to make some attempt to cover up your tires. Think I will give the Rustys flare a try. :cool:

Ah yes the inevitable compromise. I sometimes wish I had a 2 door untill I look at the beauty of the 4 door. I personally will never do bushwhakers together and hope that I can figure out a way to cover up my tires on my next heep

Back