• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cranking but not starting...

smASHLEY

NAXJA Forum User
Okay... so its me again.

You know the saying Just Empty Every Pocket? Well of course here we go again...

So, my Jeep would not start tonight. It is turning but not firing up... HELP!

I have 3/4 tank of gas, and its been running fine these past couple weeks, but of course as soon as I am ready to use it for what they are made for 4x4ing it won't work! HELP!! hasta

smASHLEY

Shot in the dark. Just today I replaced the PS pump. I unplugged the sensor at the T-Stat housing to get it out of the way...And forgot it. Needless to say it wouldn't start.

...Or the coil. I've had that happen more than one n the 4.0s. It'll even have spark, just not enough spark to make it start, I guess.

-Dan
Dan, mine stumbles a bit just after starting and then runs OK but seems to hesitate sometimes. I thought that when a coil goes bad it usually just quits working. Do my symptoms sound like maybe the coil to you?

I dunno...never actually happen to ME...just my wife, and a couple of freinds' jeeps. When it happened to my wife, I got the phone call that the jeep died. It was dark, on the side of the road. I started checking fuses and all the regular stuff. Everything looked good. So I thought I'd check for fuel at the fuel rail, and got soaked with gas. Fuel...check. Next on the list was to see if it had spark. So I started pulling plug wires. Spark....check, though it was just a spark, not a ZAP.

So I had spark and fuel, what else could it possibly need? Air filter clogged? Nope.

So after trying to be smarter than this dang jeep for about an hour, I was back to the weak spark. I ran home and pulled the coil off my XJ, and put it on the wife's. It fired right up!

The other time, it happened to a buddy, who had been trying to get his started for over an hour...ran the battery dead, had it on jumper cables, etc.

He called me to see if I could help, so I ran over there with my "brand new spare coil." He said that it had spark and was actually arguing with me wheather or not to try it. But it fired right up with the new one.

That's my story...hopefully you find it helpful. I've never had a CPS go bad on me, so I've got nothing for that one.

-Dan

CPS......it's always the CPS

X2

Had a wrangler did the exact same thing. Drove to a buddies house, Jeep had been running fine. Went to leave, and it wouldn't start. CPS had taken a dump. Did the exact same thing. Cranked away until the battery died.

Just for good measure you can pull the number 1 plug, and either plug it back in or ram a screwdriver in the number 1 plug wire, crank it, and have someone look for spark. You can also check the pressure on your fuel rail to ensure this fuel pressure in the system.

You just need fuel, spark, and air for explosion....so likely one of those is missing. It's just a matter of finding out which one. But if I were to run out and start buying parts to throw at it, I would start with the CPS.

Okay, I'm going to throw in my 2 cents. My Jeep did that once and I immediately replaced the CPS......still no go! :dunno: Turns out my idle air control (IAC) solenoid was sticky, took it off, cleaned it.......cured! Try holding the throttle open slightly while cranking, if it starts you've found your problem ;) ---------Hans

Okay, I'm going to throw in my 2 cents. My Jeep did that once and I immediately replaced the CPS......still no go! :dunno: Turns out my idle air control (IAC) solenoid was sticky, took it off, cleaned it.......cured! Try holding the throttle open slightly while cranking, if it starts you've found your problem ;) ---------Hans

Or just crack it off and spray it out with carb cleaner. It's only a couple screws and a plug keeping it in place.

The Starter relay on the 89 I had went out, it supplies power to the coil. If I remember correctly it was like 40 bucks

Back