• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

fiberglass sub box for 15in any tips?

mxracer5647

NAXJA Forum User
i got a 15in cvx and plan to make a fiberglass box in the trunk of my 2000 xj. i plan on it being on the right side, i took that panel under the window out and i want to use the space in there for the box so i dont waste trunk space. does anyone have tips or ideas? has anyone done it or something like it and have pics?

sounds like a good plan. many have done this before. good luck and post some pics on how it turns out.

have you worked with fiber glass before?

15" sub! holy hell batman!

nope this will be my first time with fiberglass but i got a buddy that has done a few things with it. and yea a 15 inch sub. i used to have 2 15s but no trunk lol

good sounding stereos are such a hard thing to get used to not having when you have had them in the past....I have 2 JL 10w0's in a sealed JL powerwedge box in my GTI and in my trail rig and it sounds great - wish I had one in my other XJ but it is used to haul stuff so I will just have to stick to whats in there

i got a 15in cvx and plan to make a fiberglass box in the trunk of my 2000 xj. i plan on it being on the right side, i took that panel under the window out and i want to use the space in there for the box so i dont waste trunk space. does anyone have tips or ideas? has anyone done it or something like it and have pics?

Dude you are gonna need a free air sub for that that is nowhere near enough space for a conventional 15! A 15 needs a couple cubic feet of box to sound good unless it is free air

^^^ there is the thread i was looking for! :D^^^

Not trying to "slight" anyone....to each his own. Are you sure you want a 15" sub in your XJ? 15's require an a*s load of power to make them perform and sound good. They are just too big to recoil fast enough for a variety of music unless you listen to only rap or hip-hop. I am not talking 500 watt peak, more like ATLEAST 500 RMS. Generally you have to go 10% over the RMS rating of the sub and look at the SPL and distortion values.

I entered a sound off competition with 3 12's and mine won over a guy with 4 15's as far as overall quality and bass response (again quality without distortion).

Not saying it can't be done, it's just that I have heard so many POOR systems using 15's when I am only using one 12 and hit harder and deeper than the 15. I just can't imagine how the mids and high range speakers would be able to keep up without being drownded out unless you have kickass mids or components like JL audio, OLD SCHOOL MB Quarts or diamond audio being fed like 100 watts rms per speaker.

Oh yeah, fiberglass doesn't hold a candle to HDF as far as acoustics unless you are using the fiberglass as a coating/asthetic transition to make it flow with the interior.

Last edited:
Not trying to "slight" anyone....to each his own. Are you sure you want a 15" sub in your XJ? 15's require an a*s load of power to make them perform and sound good. They are just too big to recoil fast enough for a variety of music unless you listen to only rap or hip-hop. I am not talking 500 watt peak, more like ATLEAST 500 RMS. Generally you have to go 10% over the RMS rating of the sub and look at the SPL and distortion values.

I entered a sound off competition with 3 12's and mine won over a guy with 4 15's as far as overall quality and bass response (again quality without distortion).

Not saying it can't be done, it's just that I have heard so many POOR systems using 15's when I am only using one 12 and hit harder and deeper than the 15. I just can't imagine how the mids and high range speakers would be able to keep up without being drownded out unless you have kickass mids or components like JL audio, OLD SCHOOL MB Quarts or diamond audio being fed like 100 watts rms per speaker.

Oh yeah, fiberglass doesn't hold a candle to HDF as far as acoustics unless you are using the fiberglass as a coating/asthetic transition to make it flow with the interior.

X2 its all about the BOX!!!!! :D

i had 2 15" cvr in my xj to start with then went to one then to 2 12" subs hated the sound of the 12s they hit harder but i just liked the 15s better. and i will be able to power the sub nicely i have an 1800 watt kenwood amp that runs at 900. and the cvx peaks at 2000 and runs at 1000 so its a pretty good fit. and flexdxj im going to make the box as close to 3.5 cubic feet as i can so it should stick out so its about flush with the wheel well.

thanks for all the feedback

i had 2 15" cvr in my xj to start with then went to one then to 2 12" subs hated the sound of the 12s they hit harder but i just liked the 15s better. and i will be able to power the sub nicely i have an 1800 watt kenwood amp that runs at 900. and the cvx peaks at 2000 and runs at 1000 so its a pretty good fit. and flexdxj im going to make the box as close to 3.5 cubic feet as i can so it should stick out so its about flush with the wheel well.

Well sounds like you got the setup with matching the amp and speakers. When you plan on doing the install/build, snap some pics please!

Oh! Ok i see you are just removing the panel. I thought you were building a low profile box there. 3.5 oughta be pretty good. My buddy runs an 18" FI in his WJ and his box is 8 cubic feet!!!!!!:scared:

think about down sizing and making something like this. obviously less boom with a 10 then a 15 but takes away zero cargo space, still looks clean, and no need to mess with fiberglass so its an easier build.

0501091655.jpg

0501091655a.jpg

at any rate good luck and post pics

Last edited:
I got 2 JL W7 in my xj and my box is 4cf. Im working on my new box with 2 kenwood 12s and a ported jl 10 and can still haul alot in the back. As far as using the back area to build the box REINSTALL it first then tape it off with painters tape and glass over it. If you glass it out of the jeep it will distort the shape. Glass it all nd build your reinforcments from mdf then finish glassing it. If you need alot of airspace like me build a deck like 3 or 4 inches tall across the whole back of the cargo area to get your needed space.

I got 2 JL W7 in my xj and my box is 4cf. Im working on my new box with 2 kenwood 12s and a ported jl 10 and can still haul alot in the back. As far as using the back area to build the box REINSTALL it first then tape it off with painters tape and glass over it. If you glass it out of the jeep it will distort the shape. Glass it all nd build your reinforcments from mdf then finish glassing it. If you need alot of airspace like me build a deck like 3 or 4 inches tall across the whole back of the cargo area to get your needed space.

mixing subs... tsk tsk!

think about down sizing and making something like this. obviously less boom with a 10 then a 15 but takes away zero cargo space, still looks clean, and no need to mess with fiberglass so its an easier build.

0501091655.jpg

0501091655a.jpg

at any rate good luck and post pics

I have something like this and it works very well (only a 8"). Being a former Louder is better stereo guy I can tell you that I can't hear crap now and wish I had rethought some of the systems that I've had. Get a good quality 10 or 12 sub and power it correctly. This is really all that you should need if your listening to it. Anything more is just to show off and it mess up your hearing in the end. I'm not trying to be a buzz kill here just pass on some info I wish I had listened to. No pun intended.

Back