• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

all in one tail light woes...

jmeti000

NAXJA Forum User
Hey all,
I recently got a set of all in one tail lights and when i went to hook them up i came across a slight issue. I have 3 wires, one for brakes, one for turning, and one for running lights. my problem is with the blinker and the brake lights...they will work independantly of one another, but when I brake, my blinker light doesnt blink until I let my foot off the brake. anyone know how to fix this so it will still cancel out while im braking? I REALLY dont wanna cut anymore, but if I half to I will go get lil amber blinker lights and put em in. But I figured someone on here hasta know of a relay or something that will make it work.

oops...I dont know what that horse thingy is...but the sentence was to read "But I figured someone on here has to know of a relay or something that will make it work."

There's some history behind that graphic (beating a dead horse.) It gets used in place of "h a s t a", remove the spaces.

The most common fix is the trailer converter. That allows one bulb filament to do two functions. Don't both rear lights blink when turning right or left? What did you do with the extra wires? Splice the brake and turn together? This should make both blink at once. The only other way I've figured out would be to use separate brake light switches for the right and left sides.

No, splicing both lights didnt make them both blink...all it did was make me have a steady light when i was braking and the blinker was on. I tried 3 different tail light converters and none of them worked. I would have running lights and blinkers, but no brake lights. I tried the wiring multiple different ways just for kicks. I think the converters were jacked cuz in order for the brake lights to work, i had to wire the hot wire for the brake light into where it was supposed to go, but then the both the car end AND the trailer end of the converter had to be spliced together in a loop and hooked to the light to get a brake...but then i would have no blinker. i finally said screw it and just bought seperate blinker lights.

just spliceing both the brake and turn signal together is NOT a good idea. if you want the same bulb to handle both the TURN and BRAKE, then as stated above you will need a converter like the ones used to adapt our independant bulb system to a common bulb system. if you cant figure out how to splice in a converter, you should NOT handle anything electrical that is remotely difficult or anything other than plug and play. just splicing in stuff for kicks without a clue as to what should and should not happen is a good way to fawk your stuff up. electrical gremelins are not fun creatures.:gee:

I think a load compensator might solve your problem. It is a resistor put in the bulb circuit because the LED's don't draw enough current for the system to work right. You should be able to get them at a local parts store.

When I set up my 2001 XJ for flat towing, I did not want to mess with hooking into the XJ’s electrical, preferring to have a second, stand-alone set of tail lights. There is plenty of room in the XJ’s tail light housing for the extra bulbs.
I drilled a hole in each housing and used dual-contact sockets with spring-steel snaps. The sockets use 1157 bulbs.
I ran a new, four-conductor wire from the new plug at the front of the XJ to the rear, routing it through the firewall, under the interior molding to the tail light housings.
I bought the parts myself but pre-made kits are available..
http://tinyurl.com/cdpcqv

Housing photos
http://www.flickr.com/photos/lwade/3491989243/in/set-72157617571023596/

Back