• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Road trip pre matnence

colby44

NAXJA Forum User
so im doing my 1st major road trip this weekend in my jeep. just changed my oil and the filters and greased up all the fitting, anything else i should check before im in the middle of no where. not entirly sure about past matnence
1989 aw4 4.0
i thought i might have been having some trouble with my cps last weekend but its running fine now. checked the resistance to a new cps and they were identicle, then took the coil out and tested it to a new one, same numbers, so put it back together and it runs fine now...
only created this topic because i would rather fix anything now than be stranded later
thanks,
colby

trans fluid level & condition?

Coolant level & condition?

Front & rear differential fluid level & condition?

Spare tire(s) aired up and condition?

Belt correct tension and condition?

Condition of hoses and clamps, everything tight?

Tires properly inflated?

Jack & lug wrench?

Spare fluids?

Emergency belt kit?

Emergency hose kit?

Power steering fluid level and condition?

Brake fluid level and condition?

Window washer fluid level and condition?

Condition of wipers?

Spare fuses?

Emergency reflectors?

CB radio?

Clean underwear? Ok, I think I have gone a bit too far.

belt, battery level (water inside battery), tire pressure. bring 2 gal of 50/50 mix with ya too. its been hot here in Massachusetts past 3 days dunno bout where your from. I say the battery (unless maint. free) because I had a battery run dry on my boat and it ended up being a very long day paddling back. Also the antifreeze because water does helish things to the 4.0 as far as rust inside the cooling system. so if your water pump goes or radiator gets a small leak you wanna put the right stuff in there and not have to worry about flushing rust out like i did. I bought my jeep and hjad to change the engine the guy had water in it ended up doing hoses heater core radiator thermostat and pump all over some water. Also look for the radiator weeping. Ive never had good luck with the xj radiators, weather new used from the dealer there all shit....

trans fluid level & condition?

Coolant level & condition?

Front & rear differential fluid level & condition?

Spare tire(s) aired up and condition?

Belt correct tension and condition?

Condition of hoses and clamps, everything tight?

Tires properly inflated?

Jack & lug wrench?

Spare fluids?

Emergency belt kit?

Emergency hose kit?

Power steering fluid level and condition?

Brake fluid level and condition?

Window washer fluid level and condition?

Condition of wipers?

Spare fuses?

Emergency reflectors?

CB radio?

Clean underwear? Ok, I think I have gone a bit too far.

i should probably flush the coolant. checked the difs when i changed the oil, their full, well my spare doesnt hold any air, but have some of that foam crap. my belts dont make any noise so i hope they are the right tension, not going 2 worry about that to much. everything else on this list ive already taken care of so should be good haha

hey make sure your ignition/keys are in good condition hahahaha

and dang joe you need to make a pre-trail sticky..

colby, google jeep trail checklist and there are TONS of creative and good checklists online and most stuff u can get at walmart for cheeeaaap...definitely get a red top cell battery....i would recommend if its in your budget.....have a good trip bro!!!

i have gotten in the habit of having a spare belt with me. saved my butt once last year. spare premixed coolant helped too cause it overheated before i could reach a safe stopping point

Back