• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

SYE info

lancey3

NAXJA Forum User
I am searching around but I need some definitive answers. I'm doing a hack and tap for my 242 1998. What driveshafts will work. Will it work from any year? Does it have to be automatic to make sure that its long enough. I found a wrecked 2000 but that has the lp 30....will that ds work for me??

Thanks in advance.

If you have a 8.25 or D44 rear axle AND a auto, you can use the front shaft off any auto equipt XJ.
Cant use this shaft if you have EITHER a manual or a D35 if you want a CORRECT length driveshaft.

Just my 2-cents worth as a fellow 242 owner. I don't trust hack-n-tap...my skills aren't up to the task to get things centered...cut square...tapped straight...etc. I got the Tom Woods SYE and custom driveshaft for less than $500. A lot of money...but worth it if you aske me. Not a H-n-T...a replacement output shaft. Not too difficult to install either.

Just my 2-cents worth as a fellow 242 owner. I don't trust hack-n-tap...my skills aren't up to the task to get things centered...cut square...tapped straight...etc. I got the Tom Woods SYE and custom driveshaft for less than $500. A lot of money...but worth it if you aske me. Not a H-n-T...a oureplacement output shaft. Not too difficult to install either.

Don't sell yourself short, If you cracked the case open & installed a TW SYE kit you can handle a Hack & Tap with ease.

Remember the TW Output shaft is nothing but a standard shaft that He hacks & Taps for you.

I won't belabor the details...but I believe the TW output shaft is not just a standard shaft that has been "hacked-n-taped". It's a "heavy duty" shaft..machined, balanced, trued...etc. Or, maybe I'm just a dummy?

I won't belabor the details...but I believe the TW output shaft is not just a standard shaft that has been "hacked-n-taped". It's a "heavy duty" shaft..machined, balanced, trued...etc. Or, maybe I'm just a dummy?

Nope, Standard hacked & Tapped shaft,
That is why TW wants your old output shaft or charges you a $400 core charge, He uses your standard old shaft for the conversions.

Last edited:
Back